Mild Tinnitus But Signs of Typewriter Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jayvzr, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Jayvzr

Jayvzr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noiae
      Evening,

I stumbled upon this forum while googling symptoms as doctors have been very unhelpful with COVID-19.

For many years I punished my ears with loud noises in work and leisure.
      I work in construction and for years never heeded the warnings given.
      As I didn't in my spare time and attended many loud concerts etc.

I flew home from a rave with a minor head cold and ears ringing. On the flight the ears popped and just didn't seem to un-pop , so I arranged a doctor's visit. After having my ears cleaned, a week or 2 later, they seemed to clear leaving me with a very slight ringing in my left ear, not enough to affect daily life whatsoever.

But since then have taken hearing much more seriously. I listen to podcasts etc at a low volume to drown out the day to day construction noise, and keep earplugs at hand all day.

Randomly my right ear has started to develop a tapping noise which at first was very infrequent.
      I first noticed it while using an electric toothbrush and heard this slight tapping when using the brush.

The tapping isn't there when there is silence, only in response to certain noise.

But in the last day or 2, it has gotten worse. Flushing a toilet and running a tap gives me a consistent tapping like morse code. Tin foil being rustled would set it off or like rustling a bag.
      It's not deafening but it's absolutely there.

Just wondering can anyone shed some light on a correct term? Or advice on treatments?

I have been told I'd be called back by a doctor twice but with COVID-19 it's hard to make any ground as I can't walk in.

Any help is much appreciated.
      J

2. one-light
      Sunshine

one-light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/adrenalin + forgetting to breathe enough when online
      Welcome here, in my mind'body'spirit research and with personal experience reoccurring dreams and musical tinnitus can well be a message from your Guides to make a change, so why not morse code - new one on me - and it maybe health related of course... others here will help with that if it is... I know it sounds a crazy theory doesn't it - I would have said the same when I was a mechanic for 30 years, before my NDE - good luck...

3. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      @Jayvzr, I have it sometimes in one ear, but mine is more in response to stress. I think it is a result on me clenching or holding my muscles in a tense position.

4. Ehren M
      Nerdy

Ehren M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/24/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Hello @Jayvzr,

It sounds like I have a similar condition. Certain sounds set mine off, and it's a mild hiss/ringing sound in one ear all the time with a more mild hiss in the other ear. I'll provide some advice regarding precautions you can take to prevent worsening your conditions. One thing people say a lot on this forum is to not listen to anything with headphones or earbuds to avoid further damage. Many people appear to have developed tinnitus after listening to music or video games on headphones or earbuds. I'll personally never touch either ever again. When you might be exposed to loud sounds, wear earplugs. But don't wear them when you're in a more safe and quiet environment because that apparently can create further sound sensitivity.

There are tons of treatments people seem to tout, and from what I gather, if you are within the first week following the noise exposure that created your symptoms, you might benefit from a course of Prednisone, as well as an over-the-counter antioxidant called NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine). Avoiding certain drugs and alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine seems to help some people. You can read more about that on this website. Beyond that, time might be the only true cure. Rumor has it that there may be a drug (FX-322) available within the next 2-10 years that may alleviate symptoms for some.

Let's hope the rumors are true.

I wish you a speedy recovery!!

Cheers,
      Ehren

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jayvzr

Jayvzr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noiae
      I'd be hoping mine's not stress related as I really don't stress over much if anything at all.
      Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately my tinnitus (low tone) started a few years ago, but that's very much a minor issue. Not even a slight hindrance on life.

And since then I have really been alert to just how much I used to put my ears through. Grinders, drills etc so bring ear plugs with me to every site and have much improved.

This morse code, typewriter sound is maybe 4 weeks old, but only yesterday got much more noticeable.

I do use my headphones a huge amount, but usually only one ear at a time. I did not realise until finding this forum that they could cause as much damage.

I usually wear them at a low volume, to protect from any unexpected noises. Sites tend to get loud unexpectedly.

6. Ehren M
      Nerdy

Ehren M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/24/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Got it. It's so hard to pin down the causes of this stuff. The accumulation of all acoustic trauma over the years just makes the most sense. I wonder if it's still worthwhile for you to try the NAC? At any rate, I hope it gets less intense for you soon.

All the best.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jayvzr

Jayvzr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noiae
      The noise trauma would definitely be the most stand out ish to me.
      Looking back to all the stupid things I have done with zero protection...

Booked for a doctor Thursday morning, best available atm.

Ear feels a bit full or something so I'll get it checked and get referred to ENT if I must.

Headphones put aside for the future.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This sounds a bit like Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome especially since it’s set off by noise only and doesn’t get louder in silence. It can be a thumping, clicking, etc. Usually there’s a bit of a physical sensation to it but I’ve read of people having just a thumping/clicking sound.

It’s either the tensor tympani or stapedius (little muscles in the ear) contracting and causing the sound.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jayvzr

Jayvzr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noiae
      Thanks for the reply.
      Forgot to give a response.

I have tried monitoring it, and in complete silence there might be a single tap or maybe a double tap once every 30 seconds give or take. Sometimes nothing for minutes.

Noise is a factor, crinkling paper, flushing water, loud machinery etc seem to make it "tap" or sounds like a Geiger counter as someone put it. But once the noise is removed the tapping stops.

The tap in silence is extremely quiet and once i focus off it, it's not noticeable.
      But at the moment I seem to concentrate on it, more out of worry and curiosity than it actually bothering me.

If a doctor said it's "x issue" and won't get worse or can't be helped, I could move on with it, far from ruining my day etc.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jayvzr

Jayvzr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noiae
      Doctor prescribed me antibiotics as one ear was "cloudy".
      I asked for a referral to an ENT so if no improvement, none so far, after a week, he will write me a referral.

Didn't care too much and brushed it off as probably tinnitus which I expected. So just wait for these antibiotics to finish and hopefully see an ENT.