Military Corner

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa Lindel, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Lisa Lindel

Lisa Lindel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2012
      Did you develop tinnitus while serving in the armed forces? How and When?

2. aurelientt

aurelientt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      I didn't but I can tell you I recently learned that my older sister did. She served in Iraq in 2005-2006. I told her about the distress from my recent T and she told me she has it too. She deals with it far better than I do but I had noticed that she sleeps with the TV on and had wondered whether she had T as well.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Lindel

Lisa Lindel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2012
      They say 40% of rhe veterans have tinnitus from WWII to Present. Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans have it real bad with IEP explosions. I just went over to the VA and got my special hearing aid to mask tinnitus. I'm in the VA system to get medical care with co-pay. I don't know if I like the hearing aid or not. It will take a lot to get used to. It's really small hearing aid and you hardly see it. The only problem is my cats. If I lay it around I know they will start playing with it! So I will have to remember to put it in my sock draw overnight. :whistle:

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Which hearing aid you got, make & model? Zen by Widex comes to mind as one of those with masking. Some have praised it (y)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Lindel

Lisa Lindel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2012
      Starkey RIC 10

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Lindel

Lisa Lindel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2012
      I've been using my Starkey Masking Hearing Aid for a week. It sounds like an old hissing radiator. It works well in the classroom. I'm able to concentrate better without the distraction of the tinnitus. I have hearing lost in my left ear and it's very disconcerting when the tinnitus is present. I give it good grades. I'm quite satisfied with the masking device.

7. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Co-occurrence of hearing loss and posttraumatic stress disorder among injured military personnel: a retrospective study

Background
      Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and hearing loss are hallmark public health issues related to military service in Iraq and Afghanistan. Although both are significant individual contributors to disability among veterans, their co-occurrence has not been specifically explored.

Methods
      A total of 1179 male U.S. military personnel who sustained an injury between 2004 and 2012 during operations in Iraq or Afghanistan were identified from clinical records. Pre- and postinjury audiometric data were used to define new-onset hearing loss, which was categorized as unilateral or bilateral. Diagnosed PTSD was abstracted from electronic medical records. Logistic regression analysis examined the relationship between hearing loss and PTSD, while adjusting for age, year of injury, occupation, injury severity, injury mechanism, and presence of concussion.

Results
      The majority of the study sample were aged 18–25 years (79.9%) and sustained mild-moderate injuries (94.6%). New-onset hearing loss was present in 14.4% of casualties (10.3% unilateral, 4.1% bilateral). Rates of diagnosed PTSD were 9.1, 13.9, and 29.2% for those with no hearing loss, unilateral hearing loss, and bilateral hearing loss, respectively. After adjusting for covariates, those with bilateral hearing loss had nearly three-times higher odds of PTSD (odds ratio = 2.92; 95% CI, 1.47–5.81) compared to those with no hearing loss. Unilateral hearing loss was not associated with PTSD.

Conclusions
      Both PTSD and hearing loss are frequent consequences of modern warfare that adversely affect the overall health of the military. Bilateral, but not unilateral, hearing loss was associated with a greater burden of PTSD. This has implications for warfighter rehabilitation and should encourage collaboration between audiology and mental health professionals.

Full article: https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-020-08999-6

8. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma

Attached Files: