Minimum Masking Level (MML) Test — Is 10 dB Tinnitus Considered Loud?

Stayinghopeful

Author
Benefactor
Jul 7, 2022
NSW, Australia
Tinnitus Since
06/2022
Cause of Tinnitus
Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
I sat in a booth today getting my Minimum Masking Level (MML) checked. I was in a booth with a headset and the audiologist played a white noise type cricket sound. He played it at baseline, then increased it twice. By the 3rd time it pretty much masked/mixed with my tinnitus.

He told me my tinnitus is 10 dB. Does that mean he went from the baseline to 5 dB, then 10 dB and that's what gave him this number?

Is 10 dB tinnitus considered loud? I don't know why but I feel anxious about it.

Has anyone else here had their Minimum Masking Level measured?

@Stayinghopeful, yes, the test usually goes up in 5 dB increments and they get the MML by subtracting the masking noise dB - hearing threshold. I saw an article that said the average is about 7 dB. It is only accurate if you have pretty stable tinnitus though. And interestingly, some research has shown that MML does not correlate with tinnitus loudness.

When mine was done I got 5 dB, and I would describe my tinnitus as fluctuating from mild to moderate. When I was tested it happened to be a mild day. My audiologist said that even though 5-10 dB seems like it is quiet, when it is amplified in your head it is perceived as much louder. I believe that's why the MML and tinnitus loudness aren't the same.

Reliability of the Minimum Masking Level as Outcome Variable in Tinnitus Clinical Research

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now