Minor Introduction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Viator, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Viator

Viator Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      Hi.

I've been lurking around these parts for a while. Decided to make an account when a friend convinced me.

I've had T for a long time, and it seems to have been gradually become worse over the years for reasons I'm not sure of. I only went to loud places like concerts once every other year at maximum, and I've been sensitive to loud sounds all my life so been sure to stay away from loud places otherwise.

Other than that I'm just a regular guy.

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma is only one but there are many other causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus, including by not limited to drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube infection or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head trauma & injury, neck injury or muscle problems, SSHL, gradual hearing loss due to aging, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from sudden change of air pressure such as during landing & taking off on flights especially with blocked nose causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, extreme, extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, sleep deprivation, etc., etc. T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The above seems to explain why you got worse.

My T was caused by a noise (that wasn't even THAT loud) that lasted for a fraction of a second. I will be celebrating 11 months after onset soon. So it doesn't take much to do a Lot of damage.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Viator

Viator Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      Strange how knowledge about that isn't more widespread.

5. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'd wager it's because very few actually get the kind of damage that causes lasting effects, or enough damage to affect daily/nightly life. In one way that is really good, that not many people get hurt by it I mean. For the few that do get hurt it means a huge lack of care and sympathy it seems. In any case it's really bad in that sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ever since I got T, I have been thinking the same thing...

• Like Like x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Isn't it the case that T is widespread (something like 15% of the population)? If at least one tenth of those people have loud T (and I am pretty sure that that is the case), T is a major health problem.

8. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I suppose it isn't "major" enough, as it isn't until now we seem to be getting any serious attempts at developing a cure.
      Sorry for the pessimistic viewpoint. 3:

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This might have something to do with how difficult it is to develop such a cure...

10. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah yes, you're right of course.

I'm not disregarding that it's super-hard. I just wish more people would be aware of that a surefire cure has yet to be developed.

• Agree Agree x 1