Momentary Clang from Ice Going from Glass Into Metal Cup — Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Yik, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Yik

Yik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was maybe a half foot away from a cup that had ice dropped into it, the cup was metal and it seemed pretty loud.

Just happened once. Can I get hearing damage from that, or a tinnitus spike?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Definitely no hearing damage. If you haven't gotten a spike yet, you are probably unlikely to get it.

Do what you can to avoid those shocks, but when one does happen, don't worry too much about it.

3. Bill Arsenault

Bill Arsenault Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Permanent/Highly intrusive since 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Over Exposure. Worsened by ototoxic Street Drugs/Meds.
      I can no longer comprehend how you can be considerate in these types of situations while dealing with your own issues.

I use to have some ability to consider where a person may be coming from.

And I still maintain that the first couple of years are quite a challenge to your sanity.
      (Third and fourth no picnic either).

But I couldn’t possibly offer support anymore like you did above. I’d be like “WTF! - are you seriously telling me you cannot even hear that shit over the fucking coffee maker and your worried about fucking ICE CUBES! You need to toughen up if you plan on being around very long because you ain’t seen nothing yet.”

Or- how about “72 hours in and losing all hope- any advice”.

I may have finally completely lost my mind- blaming the neighborhood fireworks war last night.
      (Sons of bitches-all of them).