Morse Code Tinnitus and Notch Therapy

Discussion in 'Support' started by LostOutWest, Dec 22, 2019.

1. LostOutWest
      Not amused

LostOutWest Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all -

Yay I’ve had tinnitus for three months tomorrow!

In general I’m handling it better and have worked my way back to a normal life. I’m staying busy, tiptoeing around quiet rooms, hanging out and trying to make peace with this ridiculous situation. I’ve seen some improvements: hyperacusis gone, no more ear pain and the fullness subsided mostly. I haven’t woken up to night sound explosions. I’ll take the wins.

Issue: for about a week or so my right ear has been sputtering Morse Code at about 1000 Hz. It’s obnoxious and is most noticeable in the AM when my other sounds are quiet. Thanks, Morse, for stealing my quiet AM.

It’s really faint and seems distant but really hard to ignore. I’ve read a few threads about this type of Tinnitus coming on for folks, and several have said it drifted away, or comes and goes over time. I’m trying to take it in stride with all of the other unexplainable changes of tinnitus. Feels like a setback, but hey, this whole thing is not going to be linear anyway.

Anyone have this and it resolved? Anyone try to notch therapy this? Any other coping ideas? She’s been a feisty beast this Morse code. And my brain is just loving searching for it now.

I’m trying to tell myself that as some tones fade, they are just exposing other tones that were there already and are more stubborn.

No noise events or any notable changes. I’ve been busy and a bit more tired. I came off of Nortryptiline over the last two weeks - which didn't do much for my tinnitus either help or hurt. I would say my tinnitus is not very reactive in general. Quiet AM turns to roaring PM. Rinse, repeat.

My hearing is the same with no measurable losses up to 15 kHz.

Sometimes I think my tinnitus is just spirit messages from another world and I’m a psychic medium. Now I think I’m supposed to travel back in time and save the Lusitania or warn the government about an attack with this Morse code!!!! Blarph!

Ideas thoughts positive and positive vibes welcome!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello @LostOutWest!

Check out @Adrianfox's story. He had Morse code type of tinnitus now completely gone.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LostOutWest
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks great suggestion. His came and went quickly - very positive story. Hope you’re doing well, and thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LostOutWest
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Small update here; I spoke with my Neurologist who suggested Tegretol (Carbamazepine). I’m on a 100mg dose which is pretty low. I have to admit, this right ear warbler seems further away, quieter, and I haven’t been noticing it much at all. Curious to see what it does to my tinnitus overall, which has been a rollercoaster later.

Weirdly, it’s chewable and tastes like chalky bananas. Oh and one side effect is that your skin may start to die and kill you. So, bottoms up.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      Please keep us posted:)

6. Jack23

Jack23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, medication
      Any update?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LostOutWest
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tegretol didn’t do much for me. I stopped using it a long time ago. Sorry I haven’t been on here in about 6 months. I tried Misoprostol too - no measurable improvement.

8. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Just wondering if you're still around and whether things changed for you. I have almost the same trajectory, at 3 months I was feeling pretty good about tinnitus generally, as good as possible I think. But the last few weeks I've been experiencing this faint morse code-like beeping in my right ear. It's setting me back a fair bit in terms of progress.