Movies and Ear Plugs

Discussion in 'Support' started by RoeTaKa, Aug 6, 2018.

1. RoeTaKa
      Creative

RoeTaKa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Somatic?
      So just over a week ago I went to the cinema with some friends. I wasn't sure how I was gonna feel about it since it's the first time I went since my spike happened in June. I knew that I wasn't really capable of being in super loud environments since then so I brought my ear plugs with me.

As soon as the trailers start I knew it was too loud so in go the ear plugs. But even though the level of volume was more tolerable it was still fairly loud. Also whenever the movie got quieter I could hear my ringing much clearer because of the ear plugs (in my left ear). So I'd keep adjusting my ear plug in and out between the loud and quiet parts but the whole experience just wasn't very enjoyable.

I'm feeling like the cinema will just always be too loud of a place to go but it seems like a shame to think that's somewhere I won't be able to enjoy in the future. Does anyone else have problems going to see movies, are there ear plugs they would recommend that work better in louder environments? It's not the end of the world if I just decide I won't go there anymore but I wonder if others have a better solution. Thanks!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Many T people have different opinions about going to the movies.
      Personally, I don't go. I also like your decision.
      If anyone really enjoying movies, please protect his/her ears well.

3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I find it kinda annoying because here in CA the theaters are too quiet and with my plugs in i can't hear a thing! I remember watching "the arrival" in theaters...but i couldn't hear what the actors were saying, I had to ask my mom to translate lol!

Yeah totally bummer experience, I Really want to watch the Incredibles 2 but I am not thrilled about sitting in a movie theater to see it. Maybe you can consider the drive in? I think all tinnitus people should group up and do a drive in movie sometime lol

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I like 3M Classic earplugs made of PVC foam. They really fill up the ear unlike other softer spongy kinds I've tried.

5. Michael B
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I didn't even know drive-ins still existed until a friend told me she went to one recently.

6. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Yeah it's really romantic too, but sometimes I bring too much food and i spend more time eating food and walking around the car park that i don't get to really see the movie.

7. Michael B
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      That was you?

8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      LOL yeah the pizza stands are always so far away =D

• Funny Funny x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RoeTaKa
      Creative

RoeTaKa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Somatic?
      Drive in isn't really a thing here in the UK, would have to drive far and it's not worth it lol. I really don't mind waiting until a movie is released in stores though. I kind of like subtitles too so if it's too quiet then reading is great! If cinemas were quieter I'd actually be happy about that...

I think I could maybe research into a type of ear plug that reduces sound but isn't wedged right into the ear. The ones I have are fine if I am active (Alpine PartyPlug) but when you're sitting down doing nothing but trying to concentrate on something then having to hear my T far easier because of the plugs just makes it difficult to relax.

10. Alex99

Alex99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I really miss going to movies. Haven't gone in soooo many years. One tip is I would of entered theatre after the trailers as they are known to be much louder than film...

Other than that, no clue. If I did, I'd be at the movies weekly. :(

11. TomPearson
      Transparent

TomPearson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I went to the cinema a few weeks ago and kept an eye on the DB levels, while it sounded pretty loud and did spike to 91db every so often during a gun fight, the average was only 77.8DB.

I think the high quality audio systems they have in their make it seem louder than it actually is.

I did put ear plugs in for a bit though just in case.

• Genius Genius x 1