MRI Scans

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Feb 1, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Hi All,

I have an MRI scan on Tuesday but I'm really scared this will make my tinnitus worse. I have seen lots of horror stories regarding these. Last time I had one (before T) I was given foam earplugs which didn't seem too loud, although I didn't really pay attention to noise before.

It is an MRI to check my nerve in my ear or something. The doctor said that it's extremely unlikely they will find anything as I got my tinnitus after a concert, so I'm debating if it's worth it.

I also have a pineal cyst in my head which is why I went ahead with it in the first place as I thought we could kill 2 birds with one stone, however, it appears the MRI is purely for my ear so I'm a bit confused what to do!

Thanks!

2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I got a Brain and inner ear mri during same visit. My ENT doc requested it. Make sure you get both to kill 2 birds with 1 stone

3. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      How long does the MRI usually take?

4. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      I got one in sept.2014 it took 20 minutes then they use dye for imaging another 20 minutes so about 40 minutes if they use the dye for contrast.Chelles it ain't to bad my T was raging when I had it they give you ear plugs ,If you can deal with the stress factor then you will be alright .I just closed my eyes and relaxed as much as I could and remember it will be over in 20min and 20min and your done.

5. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @uncle vikin thanks my doctor hasn't ordered one yet but at least now I know what to expect.

6. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Yea About 45 Minutes For Me too.
      My T did not change during mri.
      They gave me headphones with music.

7. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Same here, took 45 mins cause they also used contrast. I brought my own foam plugs with an NRR of 30 and it was fine. Didn't make my t louder. To me the MRI sounds reminded me of a subway train pulling into a station.

8. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      Chelles ,If they order one there is a pretty good chance they won't find anything but it is good to have it done to rule out anything,Thats why I did it.But it ain't that bad us T sufferers are pretty tough to have to deal with T so alittle 40 minute test ain't nothing to us.

9. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Hmm..in France it lasts 10 mins only. With the contrast. I had it today. I wonder where this huge difference of time comes from ? My problem was I was kind of forced not to have a double protection . They put ear muffs on my head which I admit were qute strongly attached to my head and they said it was a better protection the the earplugs..but I just wanted to have both. It makes me angry they didn't et me. Fortunately for now I don't observe any rebound of T, but am still afraid it may come tomorrow for example..is that possible ? Can an acoustic trauma appear after certain time only ? I have no idea how many DB there were inside but it was horribly unpleasant. The paradox..Sinc T I've been avoiding even public transport and then I'm put into SUCH noise..

• Hug Hug x 1