MSG and Aspartame — Your Opinion on Their Effect on Tinnitus?

Paul10

Author
Feb 24, 2017
Tinnitus Since
12/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Stress
I'm noticing some people saying they've cut MSG from their diet and are finding some success. I also came across an article:
https://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/neurotoxins-and-tinnitus-aspartame-msg-solutions/

regarding MSG and Aspartame. I'm still new to T, have good hearing and have put my T down to anxiety. As someone who previously drank a lot of diet soft drinks and regularly ate food with MSG, I'm thinking there is a chance there could be a link. I've cut out aspartame but not MSG.

Does anyone have any experience/success with cutting aspartame/MSG?

MSG is unhealthy and causes multiple symptoms that can trigger bad stuff. I'd avoid it and cut it out of your diet, if you already consume it....

Both of them seem to be pretty bad health wise, irrespective of T, so cutting down on them may be beneficial no matter what.

Very true guys, especially in regards to MSG. Does anyone have any direct experience with cutting this out and the effects on T?

Very true guys, especially in regards to MSG. Does anyone have any direct experience with cutting this out and the effects on T?

MSG, can cause multiple symptoms. google it and see what it can do and people with tiinitus should try to avoid it..I know i would.

MSG, can cause multiple symptoms. google it and see what it can do and people with tiinitus should try to avoid it..I know i would.
Yup, that's what I've been reading, problem is it seems to be in a LOT of things. I think cooking from raw materials seems to be the only way to avoid it.

I think cooking from raw materials seems to be the only way to avoid it.

Many restaurants don't use them. Cheap ones will sometimes use them (anecdotal evidence from my own experience), but you can request "no msg" in your order. Then you get whatever you get (no guarantees - there's a reason they're cheap!).
But of course, cooking from raw materials brings you other advantages too, so I'd recommend that if you can. It's really not difficult (nor time consuming) to prepare a simple and healthy meal from raw materials.

But of course, cooking from raw materials brings you other advantages too, so I'd recommend that if you can. It's really not difficult (nor time consuming) to prepare a simple and healthy meal from raw materials.
That's true; it would also keep my mind busy which is a good thing as we all know. Thanks Greg.

MSG contains glutamate which if taken too much of can damage your nervous system which could worsen tinnitus and cause a lot of other issues. Some places that prepare food may put way too much MSG in the food. I would avoid it or only have very small amounts. As for aspartame safe levels of it are about 50 mg/kg a day and yes taking too much could damage your nervous system. However the average person would have to drink about 15 diet cokes a day to even hit the safe limit.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now