Author
Benefactor
Jan 25, 2016
United States
Tinnitus Since
04/2015
Cause of Tinnitus
Extreme stress, sinus infection
I had Chinese food tonight and put two packets of soy sauce in it and now I have this high-pitched sound in my right ear rather than the hissing/shhh-ing. I am thinking that either the soy sauce or the MSG (probably the latter now that I think about it) has intensified and altered the sound I am now hearing. Has anyone else found this to be the case. I suppose it may be difficult to pin-point each and every ingredient which we consume with our food unless we try it. Then again, I have had this food and additive in the past with no negative results but now it appears I am having these or might it be from something else? I find the T malady so strange and mysterious as there seem to be countless variations from person to person.

Thanks for your reply Ron. Now I see that salt and caffeine in coffee must be avoided; I had always heavily salted my foods and drank several cups of coffee a day previously but can no longer. Best wishes.

I had Chinese food tonight and put two packets of soy sauce in it and now I have this high-pitched sound in my right ear rather than the hissing/shhh-ing. I am thinking that either the soy sauce or the MSG (probably the latter now that I think about it) has intensified and altered the sound I am now hearing. Has anyone else found this to be the case. I suppose it may be difficult to pin-point each and every ingredient which we consume with our food unless we try it. Then again, I have had this food and additive in the past with no negative results but now it appears I am having these or might it be from something else? I find the T malady so strange and mysterious as there seem to be countless variations from person to person.

That is a good question. I can't remember. Part of me does not want to experiment, though part of me does, just to find out.

I first noticed my tinnitus shortly after cooking lots of stir-frys from soy sauce! I've stayed off soy sauce for almost a year. The other day I had stir-fry with soy sauce two nights on the trot... and my tinnitus definitely seems to be worse again...so I do wonder if it's a trigger.

Glutamate is an excitatory neurotransmitter that will mess with your ears (resulting in excitotoxic injury of the IHC (Inner Hair Cell) synapse. MSG is often disguised under other names and so we can't always tell if we are eating it when we buy any processed savoury foods. Soy sauce is likely to contain it.

there isn't a link with soy sauce and hearing damage in countries consuming lots of it. It may temporary cause some effect just like alcohol or other substance though

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now