Multiple Sources of Noise Competing for My Head Space

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Do you ever feel overwhelmed when you're in a room with multiple sources of noise like eating at the dinner table, TV is on, people talking and the tinnitus blaring over the top if it.

It's like my brain has limited bandwidth that says 'stop'! One at a time!

What is that? I used to be able to filter it.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Anyone?

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Allan1967

This has happened to me Allan and no doubt to other people that have experienced severe tinnitus. Stress is another thing that will make this condition more intrusive and make one feel overwhelmed by the cacophony of noise within their head and ears. You have a lot on your plate at the moment and I'm referring to the additional stresses in your life, that you recently wrote at length about in this forum. Therefore, it is not surprising to hear of the way you are feeling with what you are having to endure. As I have mentioned many times in this forum, tinnitus is intrinsically linked to our mental and emotional wellbeing and cannot be separated from it. Stress makes tinnitus worse and tinnitus makes stress worse. It can become a vicious circle of discontent and despair and one has to try and guard themselves against this.

If possible try and reduce the other stresses in your life and this will have a positive impact on the tinnitus, although I know this may not be easy.

All the best
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Is this not the hyperacusis @Michael Leigh?

To me it seems like when my tinnitus is bad so is the hyperacusis, but when my tinnitus is quiet so is the hyperacusis. So my natural position is to try and stay in the quiet, but this is counterproductive?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Your auditory system is hypersensitive Allen as a result from the noise trauma. It is hyperacusis you are experiencing or acute sensitivity to sound. Although you find some relief staying in a quiet environment, this is not addressing the main problem, which is to densesitize your auditory system so it becomes less sensitive to sound. If you are able to I advise that you follow the treatment programme that your Audilogist suggested. I think this is the best way forward for you. Take things slowly and wear the white noise generator. Try and build up the wearing time slowly if you can't wear it continuously for 8hrs. Keep the volume low.

Use sound enrichment at night and if you are able to see your Audiologist explain what you are going through. I still think trying to reduce some of the stress in your life will have a positive impact on your mental and emotional wellbeing. This will result in helping to make the tinnitus less intrusive over time.

Michael

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you @Michael Leigh

I think I'm starting to fear sounds too. I find myself feeling a bit startled by others noises. I'm bracing myself. I'm anticipating it which is putting me on edge. I guess this is what you would call being hypervigilant?

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      This is like me Allan. At nighttime in bed even the littlest sudden noise sends shudders down me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes it is Allen and it's something you have to try and guard against. If you are able to get some counselling with your Audiologist I believe it will help...

• Like Like x 1
    9. TimPaul

TimPaul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple concussions?
      Allan, I feel your pain. I am new to the forum but your comment is one of the first I have read. Being in large groups, with background music, is very difficult. It is not like I can't hear, but it is much worse...I feel like I am hearing EVERYTHING! The sounds just turn into a huge jumble. Through the jumble, I don't hear the tinnitus, but when I escape from the multitude of sounds, the ringing takes over.

I just completed 3 weeks (3x a week) with a chiropractor. Each visit she would crack my neck and do a light neck massage. I was supposed to go for 4 weeks, but quit after 3 because it was getting worse.

I just watched an excruciatingly long video that tried to sell me "Tinnitus 911" pills that are guaranteed to work. I think I will pass on that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1