Muse Headband for Meditation

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leah, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      "If your head is overheated with such concerns, you may be a perfect candidate for the Muse — the first consumer-focused headband that is not so much a wearable, but more of a thinkable. The Muse's one and only goal, for the moment: To look at your brain activity and help you stop thinking so much."

Just heard of this device to help calm the racing thoughts and aid meditation.
      Take a look www.choosemuse.com

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I've followed Muse since it was featured on Indiegogo. The device is interesting, and it's designed for the iPhone and Android. In addition, the creators are using it as part of a clinical trial with more planned. At $299, it's an expensive tool, but perhaps it will improve someone's ability to mediate and relax. These are important activities when tinnitus stresses us out; and, perhaps, longer term the device will help facilitate habituation. That said, neurofeedback devices for home use typically do not compare favorably with professional models. With current clinical trials planned at Harvard and the VA, however, Muse's accuracy is probably better than your average device.

If anyone tries the product, please let us know or write a review!:)

Here are some excerpts from an August, 2014, Newsweek article about Muse:

Muse is a very designed product, more Apple store than CVS, a sleek plastic band embedded with seven electroencephalography (EEG) sensors that monitor your brain activity. The device can send real-time information to any compatible device over Bluetooth. For now, Muse is primarily marketed alongside InteraXon’s iPhone and the Android app Calm, which is meant to help you learn to, essentially, meditate stress out of your daily life. The app teaches you how to bring your brain state from active to resting.

Garten says she and her team have developed Muse in partnership with clinicians, ranging from therapists working in private practices to physicians working with cancer patients to help reduce the stress associated with treatment. But the device hasn’t been fully vetted by the medical community; no peer-reviewed studies have been published. Linden says a consumer EEG device might be a little ways off, given the current understanding of neurofeedback.

However, according to Gartner, clinical trials using Muse have begun at Harvard, and there are plans for many more at research universities and institutes. The Department of Veterans Affairs, for example, plans to test the product’s efficacy in managing the symptoms of post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Reference:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Wow thanks for the information. Tempted to give it a try I have a hard time with meditation and relaxation.
      Again I appreciate your research and will let you know if I purchase it.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Yet another good bit of info on this site ,Thanks Leah and Jay ,will pass this on to UK site .
      I Meditate ,but when ears play up ,it can take a while ,so think I may get some good use from this ,also have really bad allergy days running parallel with this T .Hence pushes anxiety up . So thanks again ,will keep watch on this thread xxx.

5. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      What a good read Adam,interesting .Id be interested in this for sure .Thanks to you for finding this write up .xxx

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks Adam, based on that research you found I am going to give it a go. Comes with a 30 day refund policy,
      I will know in a couple of weeks if this is something that will help. I have read so much about the benefits of meditation but have a very hard time getting into it. Just received notice of a refund on an old account, it makes purchasing this a lot easier.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thank you, very interesting research.

10. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Ping @Dr. Gans - I would love to hear your thoughts on this?

11. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    12. I'm just curious - I have high pitched ringing in my ears for a number of years on and off. Has anyone used the Muse and if so, any success with it? Thanks for your help!

13. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      If you wanna feel relaxed try a cup of white jasmine tea.

14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm very excited to get one of these soon. I don't have much hope that it'll necessarily directly impact my tinnitus, but the meditation I already do, has already had an impact on how my tinnitus impacts my life. The idea of meditating with ROBOTS and REAL TIME DATA and a MOBILE APP is amazing to me. I feel like I'm finally living in the future that was promised to me by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling books.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello, hope everyone is well.
      I have a Muse headband still in box, never used.
      Some generous person gifted it to me to help with my meditation.
      I already have one.
      They are quite expensive, I would like to offer it to anyone on these boards for only $125 plus shipping.
      Meditation and mindfulness are helping me live with the noise in my head, perhaps it can help someone here too.

16. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Where do you live, do you ship internationally, how much is shipping

What is the retail price

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello..price ranges 250. and up depending where you purchase.
      Shipping would be based on your location. I am in Ohio.

18. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Hi all. I am back just for a while and decided to recommend the Muse. I started to learn meditation about two months ago. First I used Headspace but then got the Muse and really like it. It is also a good choice for us with tinnitus, because of the rainfall noise you use to see your calmness level.