Musician with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by stratman, May 4, 2018.

1. stratman

stratman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      jan 2016
      I'm a musician and have been for over 30 years. I've always had tinnitus but could only notice it in a dead quiet environment. One evening after awaking from a nap, my left ear was just roaring with tinnitus to the point I freaked out and went to the ER. This last year and a half has been a living hell for me with this tinnitus. It's so loud that I hear it above the TV and just about anything except taking a shower. After a year of depression and not playing anymore in fear of it getting even worse I took a huge chance, bought a good set of ear plugs and played in a band for an hour or so at the normal rock volume (which is loud).

To my complete surprise, the tinnitus volume is actually ALWAYS lower after playing. I have read a lot about sound therapy and tinnitus. For me, playing music is MY sound therapy. While the relief is temporary and lasts a couple days that is a significant success for me. Also, same exact results when around machines like lawn mowers, power washers etc... I have determined the key is wear ear plugs. I'm not smart enough to analyze the reason why but only that is works.

I summary, I strongly believe there is something to sound therapy and tinnitus. I just wanted to share my experience in finding relief while temporary and NOT a cure.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Actually I do find a similar type of temporary relief when I play my drums... perhaps the extra sensory input is helping calm down some spurious neural activity. I wish it was a bigger relief, both in terms of volume reduction (mine is minimal, albeit welcome) and duration (seems like a day at the max).

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stratman

stratman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      jan 2016
      It's crazy for sure with all kinds of theories out there and claims of a cure. i've tried them all and for me this has at least tamed the beast somewhat....

4. TinA#7oct
      Amused

TinA#7oct Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Handpiece's (air driven turbine drills) repair of
      Stratman, Enjoyed your post! Keep playing with caution and hope yore T subsides.
      TinA#7oct

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stratman

stratman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      jan 2016
      Thank you...

6. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I found that playing my acoustic guitar seems to have helped. My theory is that its feeding my brain with the frequencies its struggling to hear and so calming things down. Im not totally convinced its not just random and its more to do with time more than anything but it could be something similar to you. You might want to be careful though, taking chances with tinnitus is not really worth it i dont think. It boggles my mind the amount of famous musicians who carry on with tinnitus, if it was me id just be like sorry its over.

7. TinA#7oct
      Amused

TinA#7oct Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Handpiece's (air driven turbine drills) repair of
      johnpaul
      I have an old Alvarez that I down tune and play. I have never been in a band. I just play because I love it so. A way of dealing with stress from work and now the stress of my tinnitus. I play very soft and sing in my head. I pick a slow song so my PT can help keep the beat as I play. Even if you wear ear plugs, you will find the music remains in your heart, mind, and soul. Good luck TinA#7oct

8. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      I agree. Anything to get your mind off it is good.

I find that playing music or podcasts totally gets my mind off of it. -- Also, running, gardening, etc help a lot too.

I've been on the Keto food plan for over a week and although that doesn't seem to help with my T, I feel better in every other area. :)

9. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I have noticed the exact same thing! At first, I was not able to play guitar or sing due to the H as it was painful. But now that the H has subsided (so long as I protect my ears from absurdly loud things like live music or a movie, it is manageable), playing guitar and singing actually give a noticeable calming affect. Be it the nerves or the joy/happiness that playing music provides, I have no idea. Perhaps it does has something to do with reduction of stress.