Musicianship and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Negative_Loop, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Negative_Loop

Negative_Loop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've lived most my life with a very big interest in music so much so that I was even going to school for it but since developing tinnitus it gives me a lot of anxiety and had even made me completely averse to playing for months after first developing it. now I'm feeling very conflicted about if I can actually continue with music or if it'll ultimately just make things worse.

It's very depressing to no longer have this part of my life and I'm not entirely sure what the course of action here would be and would appreciate any kinds of support.

2. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      As long as the music isn't very loud, I can't see that playing an instrument will be harmful. I can understand that you're not in the best frame of mind to play, but hopefully that will change. There are many professional musicians and singers who have tinnitus and continue with their careers, and there are musicians who are members of this forum.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What is your relationship to music? Are you a player? Listener?
      T hasn't kept me from playing. I find it quite therapeutic actually, and was recommended by pretty much all the doctors I saw.
      I do recommend that you be particularly mindful of the volume though.

4. Mortzcent
      Artistic

Mortzcent Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I don't think you are at risk as long as you keep your volume in check

5. JamesNOLA

JamesNOLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Played in a rock band
      I'm switching from electric and acoustic guitars to a classical guitar. It REALLY helps, as there was a sort of overtone in the steel strings that set my tinnitus off much more aggressively.

With some of my instruments, like keyboard and mandolin, I've found an interesting trick: I only play them through a microphone into my laptop (a Macbook Pro running Sound Stage 2, though you can do the same thing with the built-in GarageBand) with a dense compressor limiter, and a gated EQ on it. It manages the sharp ends. From there I send it to noise cancelling headphones that basically kill the raw sound and only permit the modified safe-sound.

It sounds different, that's for sure. But at least I can play without driving myself into the closet.

• Agree Agree x 1