MuteButton

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      All I can say about this is while it's good to cut out the middleman, it will not scale if this really takes off. So I don't think that method of delivery will last that long.

We don't want to see people have to take numbers and sit in a queue as if they're Tesla Model 3 reservations.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      So what kind of treatment was that? Anything like MuteButton?

3. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      I'd like to speculate that if you split Neuromod's tongue wire into two sticky pads on the back of the neck, you'll effectively have the equivalent of Susan Shore's device.

What do you think Greg?

4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Greg Sacramento why are you so sure this will work for subjective tinnitus?

5. _Patrick_
      Wishful

_Patrick_ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Guys I'm seriously counting the days. This is going to be double or quits. Either it works and we get our lives back, or it doesn't, and it's back to square one, with practically no hope in the short term... fingers crossed for everyone...

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You had a frequent flyer in the OR - are you a doctor/other health professional?

7. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Exactly. And there were big letdowns before.

However, the signs are better now than they ever were. I believe that such a late-stage (commercial-ready) treatment with such good credentials (large-scale clinical trial) has never before happened.

We'll know very soon, now.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. _Patrick_
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Yes, I know too well unfortunately...

I agree, I really want to be optimistic, and I think we have all the reasons to be, but past experiences have taught us caution. So let's wait and see.

Not soon enough, it never is, but yes we're closer than ever it seems.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. TimmyC
      Innocent

TimmyC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD possibly, or neck and jaw, or maybe anxiety?
      As I'm pretty new to tinnitus, would you say that out of all these years we are seeing much more activity in the tinnitus space? From what it looks like, up until now there has not been as much activity. But it looks like a ton of stuff is going on. Am I right about this? Even beyond Neuromod, there seems to be a lot of stuff happening now.

• Like Like x 1
    10. _Patrick_
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      We had high hopes in different molecules in the past, some had promising results in first stage studies, but then revealed themselves ineffective or too dangerous in following stages.

I'm not sure about other promising activities that are happening apart from Neuromod and Susan Shore's device (but here studies are taking ages to complete), but probably someone more knowledgeable than me can tell us!

• Like Like x 1
    11. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Three different promising treatments all focusing on the same base theories. So hopefully the basis of all their treatments work or.....

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I would also like to add ACRN had promise and to me, it was a failure. But I’m more optimistic about this, but I won’t part with cash before an evidence base builds up beyond their trials.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      I check this thread compulsively multiple times everyday with hope to see the release date.

I am tired of this life......................

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Irish tourism industry in a few months: "Why is there such a massive influx of tourism?"

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    15. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Not alone.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      People are seeing there is huge money to be made.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      With the high prevalence of tinnitus and the high unmet need for an effective treatment is only going to drive the development of new treatments by private enterprise. I hope they get filthy rich if it works though, and this will also create competition. More competition = cheaper prices = more products on market.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    18. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been in this "business" for a long time and yes I think the recent years have seen an unprecedented increase in funding into the hearing loss/tinnitus space, which lead to several very promising treatments on the horizon (the three signal timing devices and FX-322 come to mind, but there are many others on the Research subforum).

I believe it's a combination of
      1. an increased awareness among health companies that the hearing market is HUGE (see all those young people with earbuds surgically implanted into their heads 7/24),
      2. a large amount of money sloshing around and looking for investments after 10 years of quantitative easing and a bull market,
      3. scientific studies coming out show that the issue is tractable, there are viable solutions,
      4. a lower barrier of entry into the health space and a burgeoning startup culture - "medtech" and "fintech" weren't even words 5-10 years ago, back then there were only "big pharma" companies and "too big to fail" banks, now we have small outfits competing in both spaces.

All of this leads to small, agile companies actively scouting out underserved populations and then getting busy researching using venture capital. As opposed to risk-averse giants sticking to tried-and-true cash cows. Neuromod itself is a small independent company, not an offshoot of big pharma.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. TimmyC
      Innocent

TimmyC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD possibly, or neck and jaw, or maybe anxiety?
      You make a great point here. I read in an article (I need to find it) that a ton of startups are getting into the medical device space because of the untapped profits in there. Heck, even apple is trying to get into the market with the EKG on the Apple Watch 4. I'm very upset about my tinnitus, but I'm at least grateful that, if it had to happen, it at least started in a time where people are actually taking medical technology serious. Thanks for responding. I love your positive attitude!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Medical marijuana has taken over the pain sector. Now thankfully lovely greedy people are waking up to the billions to be made from a tinnitus cure. God bless them. Neuromod are getting more investment and could conceivably turn 24million of investment into 24 billion while Susan Shore is still dicking about with hamsters.

But it needs to work......or collectively we will be their worst nightmare. This forum will make or break any new device within a year.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Lol do we really have that much influence?

22. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We're #1 if you Google for tinnitus forums/communities, and word of mouth is very powerful. ]I'm not sure we can literally make or break a device but this forum most definitely has a lot of influence.

Just imagine that you're deciding whether to invest €2500 in a new device, decide to search for reviews and the very first hit you get is a thread on an active, well-designed forum where people with lots of posts are talking trash about your device. Or conversely, being jubilant about how much it has helped them. Wouldn't this sway your purchasing decision?

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      Yes sure when the members who get spikes from eating cheese and cutting their toe nails review it.

• Funny Funny x 7
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hahahahahahahhah

And yes, this forum will make or break them!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Try googling ‘Does Neuromod work?’ this time next year and see how many responses from this forum appear on your screen.

We will initially be their best customers. But we will also be the most vocal online.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Exponentially more.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Bam,

They clearly said it will not work for everyone. Why not? We and they probably don’t know the reasons.

I don’t think either this forum will make or brake the device within a year. Just look to ACRN or LLLT. Still huge number of fellows are trying it because they are so desperate (like I am by the way).

We just can pray to belong to the 80% responder group.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      It may work for subjective tinnitus because cranial nerves and other sensory input mostly cranial and trigeminal are not damaged. The vestibulocochlear nerve is adverse.
      https://www.kenhub.com/en/library/anatomy/the-12-cranial-nerves

General somatosensory pathway may interfere if cranial damage exist.
      A somatosensory pathway will typically have three long neurons: primary, secondary and tertiary. The first associates with tinnitus. It's cell body is in the dorsal ganglion of the spinal nerve. Also association to the trigeminal nerve ganglia. This is one area that one never wants to see messed up. Electrical stimulation of the tongue must follow a direct route to cranial nerves and brain stem.
      The hypoglossal nerve innervates the tongue with signals from the brain.

It travels at the C1 close to the vagus nerve and not as close to the spinal division of the accessory nerve.
      Then it curves down from behind the vagus nerve, passing between the internal carotid artery and internal jugular vein on the carotid sheath.

Back in 1974 -75 MIT and Harvard had thoughts that stimulation of the trigeminal and facial nerves via the tongue may activate directly to the brainstem of neural impulses and make changes to neural networks and new channels for the release of neurotransmitters to boost neuroplasticity. They sold their MS research to a private company and more research study failed. MIT and Harvard had to raise capital for other neuro same principle research that included tinnitus, but was unable.

• Informative Informative x 2
    29. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Funniest thing I read all day. How many people outside of this forum are aware of this do you think?

• Like Like x 1
    30. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      I do not know how many are aware but they now have 24 million euros for their advertising campaign.

• Informative Informative x 1