My 18th Birthday

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by katri, Oct 18, 2018.

1. katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      How do I run away? Like what should I do? How and when?

I’ve never been camping before or anything so I’m just looking for someplace. I don’t care if it’s in California or literally any other place.

I can’t stay here with my delusional parents. They think that I’m successful by “braving” through school, and a noisy workplace they won’t let me quit. They don’t care because it’s not them. I might stay in my car or something.

I have an iPad, 1200 dollars, and a ton of water.

Do I have to tell them where I am? And why I don’t want to come home? I doubt I’ll call them.

I’ll write down all the important numbers on some paper and use them at rest stops.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Hello, katri, it's nice to meet you.

In my opinion, $1200.00 will not last long at all. You will need food to go along with your water, gas for your car and other expenses.

My advice to you would be to seek out some counseling at your school, or elsewhere. Perhaps time can be set up for sessions involving you and your parents. They need to understand just how difficult tinnitus can be and how hard it is to cope with it on a day to day basis.

I understand that this is a difficult time for you, and for your parents. A well thought out plan of action will serve you better than a rash, unwise decision. Your Guidance counsellor at school could be a good place to seek some help.

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @emmalee can’t I just get a bunch of canned foods and stuff to last me. If I have food then I should be fine. My parents are tired about hearing about tinnitus. They seriously don’t care a beat me if I bring it up or if I start crying. I have to go somewhere, anywhere but here. I always thought we were friends and that they loved me unconditionally. No they just love me when I’m the best at everything I do. They can seriously shove it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @katri,
      Tell them come on here.
      Please don't go off by yourself and be vulnerable to the dangers around you as your safety must come first.

Your parents need to sit around a table and listen to you.
      Send for some free information and advice off the BTA and give it them to read.
      Your parents should be more supportive and understanding and it's time they started listening to you.

Keep posting and don't run away.
      love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      They don’t want to hear it. Black people live by the philosophy “don’t claim that”. You could be dying of cancer but not claiming it. They don’t care my ears hurt, they don’t care how loud my t is or how bad my quality of sleep is. It’s all dirt and crap. I look up and everyone around me is so happy and I’m miserable. My parents don’t believe in taking medicine so there is no melatonin, no anti depressants or anxiety medication. I can’t even take vitamins despite having an iron deficiency. My home is hell and I’d rather live in a dangerous world than in my house any longer. I’m tired of getting hit when I cry. I’m so sick and tired of being yelled at. Maybe going off won’t be that bad. If I go off and leave and gather my thoughts, they’ll be proud of me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      They need to go with you to a doctor and sit and and talk things through as a family and not run away .

Do you have a family member whom will take care of you ?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      No I don’t have any close family members. I do have a friend in California. And my mom is making me go to counseling and I doubt she’ll listen. Every time we go to one, she says I’m manipulative and that I don’t care about her side of the story. It’s ironic because she doesn’t care about mine at all.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I’ll go home if it doesn’t work out.

9. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Most cities will have certain places that will have food for every meal, may not be the best/could be leftovers but it's better than nothing. Shelters you can have a place to live 3 or 4 nights out of the week. The problem is that it can be pretty dangerous finding a place to stay outside of that.

I don't recommend it unless you have absolutely no place to go, staying with distant family would be the best.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      That’s the other side of the country and they’d just send me back to my parents. What about long term camping? There has to be some place in the wilderness or just anything.

11. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I can tell you that's not going to be a good idea. You want to be in as populated area as possible.

It's not safe by yourself.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      What if I have a friend or someone?

13. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Honestly, if I was you I would stay until you had a job and a place lined up. It's not smart to gamble like that.

Maybe your friend(s) and you could get a place together.

14. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      @katri

How are you doing today, are you still at home?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      yes, i'm still not old enough to leave. I'm not sure what to do now. I quit my loud job in fast food, so my parents took my keys, phone, and ipad. I have to do literally every chore in my house and if i dont enroll to my dorm in the next few days then i need someplace else to live because i'm not allowed to live off my parents success. Preparing to leave is hard because i cant communicate with my close friends. besides that, my mom is threatening to throw me into some mental institution because i'm behaving like my late grandma when she was my age. It's crazy that I think there actually might be something wrong with me. I guess this is just life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      You certainly are going through a very stressful time, katri.:huganimation:

Do you think that moving to the dorm may not be a terrible idea? This would give both you and your parents some time apart. Sometimes a little space is needed to re-group and look at the situation with a calmer frame of mind. The dorm would be much safer than wandering around with no concrete plan of action.

You are not crazy, tinnitus can cause monumental stress for us, we all handle this stress differently. I strongly urge you to seek some counseling, talking about your problems with tinnitus and subsequent family struggles can only be positive.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      mine is louder than my shower and i dont want to see a bunch of carefree happy people around me. I've already skipped a grade. I just want a semester off so I can seriously handle myself and readjust.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I understand, katri.:huganimation:

Please know that there are many people on this forum who are willing to listen and support you if the going gets too rough. ❤️

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Given events that have happened in my past, I won't discourage you about running away. I think it's worth an attempt. But this can't be done alone and you're going to need to work hard to pull yourself up off your feet.

You need to call your friend in California. See if you can stay at their place for a while. Explain the situation. Hopefully Cali is not far for you.