My Girlfriend Said "It's Not Cancer, You're Acting Like a Child" and Broke Up with Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zug, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Zug

Tinnitus and other chronic illnesses put a lot of strain onto the sufferer himself and also the people around him. Enduring this for everyone is very difficult. I am two years in this game and my wife would also love having the old funny, happy, joking husband back. It is tough, super tough for everyone. My wife deals with cancer and this makes things for us even harder. She tries to help me as much as possible. But at the end, she thinks that I should be lucky not having cancer. Honestly I would still gladly trade with her because she has a treatment, a promising treatment. But maybe in one or two years I will think differently.

So do not blame her she is not strong enough going with you through this. Not everyone is that strong. Make yourself clear that you have a hard time and it is yourself going through this. And one day, you will be better and stronger like before. You will find someone who really loves you and you will not look back.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Some people are just pure garbage and need their faces smashed in. End of story.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think this is entirely untrue and expresses a fundamental lack of empathy which is as toxic to yourself as it is to the outside world.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      That's how I feel sometimes too lol

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      My Girlfriend Said "It's Not Cancer, You're Acting Like a Child" and Broke Up with Me

55796291.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

You are a man!....

who happens to have tinnitus and some hyperacusis....

I'm sorry you went through that. You will see in time, that you're better off..Not saying it is easy though.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

No. It's true.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks for all the support. Funny thing is, after "D-Day" with all the yelling, hand clapping and emotions, I started to feel a little better. I don't want to jinx it, but I think my feeling about T are a little better this week than during last week. Maybe it's my brain trying to protect me, I don't know, but I'm really not bothered that much that she left AND been feeling more positive about T. It's not a good idea to stay with someone you can't count with during bad times, so it is what it is.

I'm trying to keep myself busy and been coming less to this forum, just wanted to say a big Thank you to everyone here!

• Like Like x 4
    9. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Good riddance.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Thank you @Zug for letting us all know how you are doing and you sound much happier and positive...take care lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      When I read your first message I thought '' probably young people, young relationship, princess disappointed''..but after you added many very important aspects of the situation and still, we don't know how things looked from her perspective. I mean..you're both mature , she, as well as you, gave you 9 years of her devotion..she had her hardship in life too..that doesn't change the fact that you're hurt and that , all in all, she's not there to support you, but I just wonder what made her make such a decission since she was supportive in the beginning..were you crying in bed all days long ? You stopped talking to her ?Maybe she thought you weren't even trying to get back to life Despite T? Or maybe there was sth wrong apart from T that bothered her ? I mean, I just don't believe sb leaves just like that after 9 years 'only' because of T..That's all very sad cause it seems like it's too late and you seem to accept the fact that she left..but you know..people sometimes break up, but if the reason wasn't too serious they get back together. We often easily say here that cancer would be better than T..I don't claim I know how feel some who have much louder T than me, but I'd say it's not comparable - both are terrible in a different way. She had cancer and is surely very proud of having fought this..and appreciates the fact of living more than others who never had to find out that maybe they will be gone soon. She must feel kind of disrespect towards those who have 'smaller' problems and whine, it annoys her. Pitty she didn't know that it is not a smaller problem. Maybe a video about Gabby would make her understand ? I wish there was a campaign for tinnitus as there was one with ice bucket challenge for ALS..

• Like Like x 1
    12. Dave111
      Transparent

Dave111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Makeing music in band and headphone on to long.
      She sounds like my borderline ex..

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      My friend, who can get just about any girl he wants, has been sticking by his girlfriend, who unfortunately contracted MS in her 30's. He has to deal with all her moods, doctor's appointments, dietary and physical limitations, plus run his own business. This is his girlfriend, not his wife.

Some people have character and compassion. Some don't and never will. It's called being cold hearted.

• Agree Agree x 3
    14. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      This girl is not worth keeping mate, she sounds cruel and heartless. Nobody understands fully unless they have it but they should realize you would not be so ill with it if it was nothing. Download the app 'isuppress' and find the tone which matches your T and make her listen on loud for a very long long time. Then she will see.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Hey @Gosia I really don't know. I live in Latin America and unfortunately the "Macho" culture is still a thing. She said I wasn't "man enough" for her, that I couldn't move on from "just a sound". Anyway, it was her decision, not mine so I decided to try not to dwell on the break-up and try to do stuff to make me feel better. I don't need another issue to bring me down and I feel that going after her would only hurt me.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Hey guys, just need to tell that yesterday I went out on a date. Turns out, one of the first things she told me as she sat to my left was "I had meningitis some 10 years ago, lost hearing on one ear." I then told her my story, turns out she also has T. Hers is not 24/7 like mine, she said she only hears it at night with her head on the pillow and it doesn't bother her, but she has it. I said I was seeking treatment, she even knew one of the doctor's I've been to. Then we changed the subject and had pasta.

After the date I had 2 missed calls from my ex on the phone.

And so it goes...

• Like Like x 3
    17. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Zug,
      Lovely to hear you have been on a date and met a understanding lady...
      life can be wonderful even with tinnitus .
      Stay strong and positive and always here for you and each other....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Wow, what a coincidence ! Did she know you had a date or what ? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

@Gosia I met this girl on Tinder, totally random, and didn't tell anyone about it. I guess it was a coincidence, maybe the Universe's way of telling me to move on...

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    20. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      @Zug

man tell your ex-girlfriend how wrong she is and how she can go to hell. I had bone marrow cancer when I was 14, and I rather go trough that shit agian than this annoying high pitched static annoying as hell kind-of-noice in my head. yeah ofcouse i did go trough a lot pain when dealing with cancer, but it was like a walk in the park compared to this. atleast i knew i was getting treated, and not like now when I'm on my own. you dont really think of killing yourself when dealing with cancer, but with this shit its a matter of time when you jump off a bridge. almost got a fucking heart attack when i found out there were no cure for this, and i tell you what, if this doesnt get better, I hope to god i do. Your ex-girlfiend is nothing but an ignorant idiot, with no knowledge about reality. no one deserves a parasite like that in life. Surprised how a human being can have that lack of empathy...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Hi @ceauses97 , thanks for your sympathy. I'm not talking to my ex anymore, I think if I see her, I'll just ignore her like I would any stranger. I don't like to wish bad things to other people, but I believe we reap what we sow. I believe she will end up with someone just like her, and that seems punishment enough ;).

Like you, I've had some pretty dark thoughts, fortunately, I'm past that.

The good side is that after that episode I decided to get professional help and started CBT. I'd love to say that T is not an issue anymore, but I would be lying. Incredibly enough, I did meet a good girl that doesn't seem to mind me having H and T and all the annoyance around this condition. So, I'm dating her and moving on (just came back from watching Creed at the movies). I had started the "Back to Silence" method before the break up, and suggest you try it. It helped me a lot and fits very nicely with my other CBT exercises.

I hope that you won't need a heart attack to find relief from T. Hang in there. We'll get better! :beeranimation:

• Like Like x 4