My Journey with Tinnitus...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Timothy, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Timothy

Timothy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 15, 2106
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello All,

This site has brought me some comfort knowing that others suffer from this condition. I know exactly when mine started. August 15th-2016 and I waited (my fault mainly) until about October before I could get an appt with my ENT. It was diagnosed as sudden neural sensory hearing loss (left side) and I was put on a decreasing predinsone dose. It seemed only to mask the condition as when I stepped to the next lower dosage as the tinnitus got slightly better then returned.

So off on holidays, I didn't get back to the ENT guy until 10 wks later and because of a misunderstanding he said injection of cortisone is not an option. But my hearing did improve slightly and I found an app on my iphone/ipad (Hearing Test) that replicates the hearing test that I received at my ENT's office. We compared charts and it matched it perfectly. Not to encourage this but just saying.

Anyway, I had a MRI done and waiting for a response from my ENT (3 wks now since the test). So as of now, the tinnitus comes and goes and never totally goes away. Some days are better than others and mornings are usually OK. I sleep well. Drive my wife nuts. But I use sound muffs for my morning drive (-28 DB NRR) and a silicone ear plug that really help start the day off OK. They are like a fixture on my head.

So the question I have. Should I continue using noise reduction devices? Doesn't this help or should I be exposing myself to all the noise of daily life?

Take a look at my iphone test....

Thanks Timothy

Attached Files:

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Looks like left ear low and high pitch loss and right ear high pitch loss.
      I think thats how it reads ....
      Have you seen audiology to see if hearing aids might help ?...lots of love glynis

3. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      @Timothy, I had similar experience Tim, left hearing loss with T my hearing test looks a lot like yours. Do you have hypercusis and dizziness?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Timothy

Timothy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 15, 2106
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the thoughts. I haven't visited an audiologist yet since my ENT guy said I should wait. I was seriously thinking of doing this anyway.

What is hypercusis? Heard of it but I don't know if I have this condition. No dizziness, no pain, no headaches and feeling generally good about life. This is annoying and I do have trouble hearing conversations in crowded rooms. Deafness runs in our family. Thanks for all the advice. Timothy