My Posting Place

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by threefirefour, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      There is no doubt Alternative search engines are resistant to corporate BS.
      upload_2020-7-31_23-32-11.png

2. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Reasons to buy Apple computers:

MacOS

Aesthetics. This is the big one. PCs look like shit in general. So does Windows

Specific software like Logic

When you want to spend as little time as possible fixing problems and tinkering. Not everyone has time or interest in that, or in customizing stuff. Especially creative professionals which historically have been target customers for Apple

A certain standard of quality, overpriced though it may be.

The argument "Apple products cost too much" is just.. Not an argument at all. People who buy Apple doesn't care. People who complain about this doesn't have much money from what I've seen. Who cares? People spend money on what they want.

I'm writing this from a 4500 USD Apple desktop machine. My old Apple laptop lasted 10 years. For what it's worth I wish I had built my own PC this time, but that's because I got tinnitus, long story.. Things changed and I don't use it for music production as much as I had planned.

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I can make Linux look however I want and mimic the feel of Mac and Windows. After a while aesthetics get boring especially if you are free to customize anything. Mac users do not have the same freedom or even conceptualize the concept of desktop environments being swappable.

Ubuntu install mimicking a Mac.
      The KDE desktop on Linux has bajillions of options and once one power user configures it to look like a Mac. All the normies can just download an icon theme pack and run a script to mimic it with no effort.
      1596155512980.png

Windows hands down dominates in terms of quality software and getting serious work done. Certain software is so good it can't get any better. So companies update it by moving it to the cloud. Due to the fact Windows can run software from almost any era of it's history, that gives the Windows user a huge range of options. You may find a scenario where old software is better. Mac and Linux don't have much backward compatibility without using special tools like flatpak or appimage.

They are a cucked market and I hope is that Linux takes them. However Krita and Blender are the only two FOSS creativity apps that made it mainstream professional use. So if a artist uses Krita and Blender for his/her work flow. They can easily move over to Linux with a Mac like KDE install. Linux would get better if people actually donated to Libre software projects. The gimp may not suitable for some professionals. But it's perfect for anyone who is doing free lance projects.

I'm writing this on my ASUS notebook that I purchased in 2015. I pad $700 USD for the notebook and $100 USD for windows 10. $800 total. However I do not use Windows 10 anymore as I have a custom Ubuntu install. You got me on the argument that most people don't tinker with computers or read manuals. But imo Mac is over priced and less functional for Windows for professional usage.

There is nothing preventing Microsoft (or Apple) to implement swappable desktop environments. IE Windows could have a Mac Like Interface and Mac could have a Windows like interface. I don't know why this shenigans hasn't happened yet. It would confuse normies that actually think the GUI is the same thing as what's under the hood of the OS.

4. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well, you kind of proved my point there. I have no idea what you mean by most of what you wrote because I have no technical interest in computers, it's just a tool that I want to think about as little as possible while it looks and works as good as possible. I'd happily pay a premium to never have to learn any of those things, you seem to have an interest for it which makes it another thing entirely so I understand why you like Ubuntu and all that.

The golden age of Mac is over for sure, it kind of died with Jobs. Recently they seem to have started to make an effort again, we'll see how it pans out. But I think you'll find that most music producers, photographers and video editors use Mac. And most people who need raw power for other fields use PCs with good reason.

Mac is a bit overpriced yeah. Especially things like RAM and SSDs. I could have saved money by putting in my own RAM cheaper in my Mac Mini but I'd rather just pay more. However, they also make some of the best stuff out there. Their panels for instance. The 5k iMac panel can't be beaten at that price point. I have a third party 32" 4K screen though because I don't like the idea of selling my ass entirely to Apple by buying an iMac, and this solution cost me way more than an iMac would have. I'll be plugging in a PS5 into this monitor in the future, if not a dedicated PC for games.

At the end of the day, I guess I just like to have a wireless, very minimal looking setup that's all grey aluminum and completely silent. It's been one of few areas of contentment in my life since I got tinnitus. I've never seen PCs fill that niche but I haven't looked a lot. Probably something you'd have to custom build. Some NUCs come close I guess.

Not all Apple customers are buffons, but many are. I'm not exactly an Apple fanboy. I've never used smartphones but I doubt I'd go for an iPhone. That's an area in my life I would like to customize heavily.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I said three major things

1. Windows is best for any workstation due to it's endless pool of third party software. It's ability to run older software is actually it's biggest strength. I argue that Windows makes the Mac workstation look silly.

2. Linux now has serious potential to capture a niche of artist that are using Mac, due to it having interfaces that resemble Mac. It also has high quality painting/art software called Krita. Krita is now a serious competitors to paid subscription based painting software. Blender (3d modelling software) is literally dominating the 3d modelling market as 1#. Linux's photoshop alternative Gimp is pretty much on par with photoshop from 2014 on everything accept text layers and unironically drawing lines.

3. Microsoft could in theory make Windows look similar to Mac if they wanted. Users could choose between normal windows 10 or a Mac like dock. But Microsoft does not make that business choice. The way a computer looks has nothing to do with what goes on under the hood. Most people don't know this.

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      In the spirit of the joke where everyone makes fun/belittles me.
      1596318285650.jpg

7. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The unironic truth is Linux is braindead simple and easy to use out of the box. You don't have to know jackshit about it to have a default Buntu install. There is zero issue with user friendliness. It's only a problem when you have to get work (other then programming) done and realize how low quality the software is. Unless your entire workflow is blender, krita or draw.io. You can't get away with using LibreOffice in a corporate setting. it's bad. There is no professional audio editing software that comes close to FL Studio. (as I heard) I don't use those programs.

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Okay this is really useful and something I didn't know until spending time on gimp forums chatting with helpful chads who told me about scripts people made to automate outlined text.

https://www.gimphelp.org/
      upload_2020-8-3_23-47-7.png

9. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      upload_2020-8-4_0-8-3.png

upload_2020-8-4_0-7-51.png

10. Adaś
      Caffeine

Adaś Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones, Stress, Rock concerts
      How about some text for a change....

Human hearing is such a crappy design
      I don't want to bash our creator or something (much), but I apparently something went wrong when someone or something has been "designing" our (human) hearing. For some reason due to evolution we lost ability to regenerate our inner ear cells - many thanks for that, but in the same time our pain thresholds got stuck way above harmful levels, again thanks for very useful feature.

It is like a fuse switch that gets activated when the all wires are already burnt.

How stupid is that healthy person needs to almost blow the ear drums to feel the pain in the ears, while something like a scratch of the skin or small cut of the finger, or mild food poisoning hurts much more.

Just imagine that IF our ear pain thresholds would be at least 10-20 dB lower, then there would be no concerts and electronic devices that would f...k some many people's hearing. There would be no loud cars or bikes, because all of that would cause pain immediately, and people don't like pain. Ototoxic drugs would ideally also cause pain, but I reckon in our reality they usually don't. So you may happily pop couple of aspirins everyday, kill a bunch of hair cells and not realize that for long until it is T or H says hello.

And with H it gets completely opposite, that everyday sounds start to cause extreme pain, making you think that almost everything can hurt you, making any sane person paranoid.

It is not that whole human hearing is bad, because it is actually pretty amazing how great dynamic range and frequency range it has, but the whole regeneration thing and pain thresholds went bad during evolution or however else we think or believe it was designed.

So again, many thanks for this crappy design, we appreciate... NOT

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      upload_2020-8-10_17-49-45.png

• Like Like x 1
    12. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      The alter egos are probably one of the five reasons why I get out of bed in the morning.

14. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Abiogenesis in the materialistic interpretation is like a boeing 747 assembling in a junkyard from a tornado. They even admit this. There might be special laws that allow matter to abiogenesize because proto-consciousness saturates the Universe. Physicist like Paul Davies and Roger Penrose speculated about proto-consciousness in the Universe and these ideas are heavily criticized for being pseudoscience by the mainstream. If well respected physicist suggest that quantum physics has to do with proto-consciousness it's guaranteed to get tons of criticism. Yet it's okay if physicist talk about galaxy size particles, how the Universe will end, super advance alien civilizations that colonize galaxies, infinite universes branching off all the time, AKA wildly hypothetical shit that will never be known.

Physicist are allowed to widly speculate about the cosmos all the time, unless it has to do with consciousness. I honestly don't understand this and I am intrigued how some physicist actually do speculate about consciousness's role in reality instead of buying the illusion kool-aid. I can't think of a rebuttle from virtual TF4 so oh well..

• Like Like x 1
    15. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Time to shit on Apple

Windows is for workstations/professionals

Linux is great for home users (despite most of them not knowing this)

Mac is for people who enjoy burning their wallet.
      1597105966979.jpg

16. Adaś
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      On your plot the Aero 15X has 1070 discrete GPU which is around 6 TFLOPS while MacBook Pro has 560X which is around 2.6 TFLOPS. So not sure what if the point of comparing that, as there's no surprise there, and comparing CPUs does not make sense here.

I am Apple user (not fanboy) for 15 yrs. I used to be very enthusiastic about Apple till 2011 when the company decided to solder RAM, CPUs and make everything not replaceable anymore. Hardware-wise Apple is overpriced, despite it has best ARM CPUs in the world. Still I see benefit of Apple platforms if you use them for all of your devices - computer, phones, tablet, TV, because the synchronization works great. And btw. Windows is just a big mess. I consider only Linux as a viable alternative, but it requires more of tinkering, so it is good for someone that has a time.

17. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I agree under the hood it is. Microsoft keeps enormous amounts of legacy code from the early 90's on Windows 10. If anything Windows Ten is literally all versions of Windows built on top of each other.

Linux Mint Mate, Zorin and Ubuntu's default come working OOTB and are super user friendly. They are all based on Ubuntu's core. The only tinkering I do is find better software them what was shipped with the defaults. On Windows and Mac people do the same. No one liked Windows Photos or Windows Media player OOTB.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      When it comes to ARM vs AMD64 (what i use) what is the difference performance wise?

19. Adaś
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I guess this is about performance per Watt. Of course consumer ARM CPUs provide usually less performance than fastest x86/AMD64 CPUs, however Apple A13 delivering performance comparable to mobile Intel or AMD CPUs, provides much better battery runtime. Additionally currently fastest supercomputer is ARM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujitsu_A64FX https://www.top500.org/lists/top500/2020/06/ So there's a reason why Apple announced that they will switch to own silicon for laptop/desktops.

20. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
    21. Adaś
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ethernal.png

• Winner Winner x 1
    22. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I was literally thinking about making a meme like that. lololol

• Like Like x 1
    23. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
    24. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

WillBeNimble Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Damage from earphones
      Yeah, evolution isn't perfect. It can be clever, but it's generally a process of "good enough". For example, the laryngeal nerve. It goes under the aorta for some reason? Why? Because it's good enough. Here's some other evolutionary failures. http://m.nautil.us/issue/24/error/top-10-design-flaws-in-the-human-body

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    25. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      A lot of these aren’t really failures, there’s kind of a pretentious tone to the article. It’s still a fun read though :)

26. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      If anyone wants to know where I get inspiration for alter threefirefour. Just watch Dawkins debating religious people or read famous quotes from 20th century academics. Lot's of behavioral therapist in the 20th century insisted consciousness didn't exist.

Also:

%3A%2F%2F78.media.tumblr.com%2F95111a32e3f91957378d1a5d599045ca%2Ftumblr_ou9mhcepsN1t66bi6o1_500.jpg

27. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Whats kicking bois?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    28. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      this thread is a wasteland. MPP is shutting down operations.

29. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Damage from earphones
      True, I should have said flaws.

30. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus: