My Success Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by mamag, May 14, 2015.

1. mamag

mamag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Hi all! I know how important it is - especially to new folks - to hear that it does get better. That's why I want to share my story.

I developed my T in Dec 2013. I had a really bad head cold and heard this humming in my ear. I thought my head was going to explode! I took sudafed - no help. Two days later I got the ringing - oy vey they ringing! I really thought I was going to lose it - loud, piercing, non-stop. I needed to take Xanax to sleep. I developed hyperacusis. I read everything online and freaked myself out. I saw an ENT and had audiology workup, all fine. Definitely not noise induced, either. Lets' see...I also tried prednisone, acupncture, allergy meds, etc etc.

I was besides myself - the ear ringing was all I could think about. I was a total basket case for several months. How could I possibly live like this?

Eventually, though, the ringing quieted down - always there, but not as sharp.The hyperacusis came and went...and came and went. FINALLY I decided to get a brain MRI - it was negative. Yay!

At that point it was about a year of having T and I said to myself - this sucks, I miss silence...but I managed to get through this for a year. It's gotten better, the anxiety has lessened...I can do this.

Honestly, what worked for me was just really accepting the tinnitus. Once I knew it wasn't a brain tumor, I figured I had a choice. I can choose to panic and go nuts...or I can accept the tinnitus and learn how live with it. It hasn't been an easy road...but I made it through.

With that - the noise sensitivity problems have all but vanished. My life is as joyful and it was before T. Only changes: if we are going somewhere where there will be noise, I wear earplugs. And at night I sometimes (it used to be all the time!) will turn on the humidifier or a white noise machine. I am also trying to be better about exercising - as that helps with stress. OH....and I also use a nasal rinse at least 1x daily (more when my allergies kick in). That helps me because my T started from sinus/nasal congestion.

If you are new and dealing with this - I know how scary it is. But there IS life with T..meaningful, joyful life! You just need to deal with the anxiety - at least that is what worked for me. Now, I don't even notice my T at work, or really during the day. Just at night when it's quiet.

I hope this helps and gives some hope to others. Just know that you are not your tinnitus. It does not have to define you.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Glad for you Mamag. I got through the habituation once then it got worst. Its really been difficult the second time.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Steve10608
      Supportive

Steve10608 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2015
      Thanks Mamag.............Your development of T and history are very similar to mine. I have only had it for four months. I'm learning to deal with it. I'm on meds but will eventually taper off. I appreciate you sharing your story. It encouraged me very much.

4. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      mamag,
      thanks for that story !

5. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor