My Tinnitus Has Gone Through the Roof With a Cold

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Mar 30, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I've had colds before and it hasn't affected it, only got quieter if anything. This time it's gone through the roof. Really worried it will stay this loud, I struggled to sleep last night. Do others experience a huge spike?

2. Afeef
      Cowboy

Afeef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It does happen.
      You will be fine as soon as your cold goes away which will take some time.
      Don't panic its okay to have a spike in cold.
      Just do some steam inhalation if your nose is blocked and see a doc to help you out more.

You will be fine trust me.

Afeef

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Colds and sickness almost always amplify the tinnitus experience....it will return to normal once you do

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes, it's common to get a spike even a bad one when getting a cold. Also, when going through an emotional crisis. I've experienced both more than once. The good news is that your T will return to it's previous base. Although, sometimes it can take a while.

Try not to worry too much about it because anxiety also exacerbates a T condition. You'll be ok...(y)

• Like Like x 1
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This happens to me and drives me bonkers and sometimes goes on for a couple weeks after I feel better.

6. nmacive
      Worried

nmacive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      I recently had a spike about 2 1/2 months ago, I just woke up and it was insanely louder than ever. Before I had never noticed it but once I woke up it was louder than ever before. I asked around on the forums here and some other forums and people all said it was from being sick. I had a sinus problem I think and a cold and allergies going on all at once. I went to the doctor and he gave me a steroid and i took nasal spray ect. Its been 2 1/2 months now and sadly mine has not gone back down to base level..everyone said it would but its still loud and noticeable more than ever. However I have heard of some peoples spiking for months then going back to baseline. So im hoping mine will. But on a more positive note! Stay calm, don't over re-act and cause unnecessary anxiety for yourself and just forget its even there and it will get better. Im sure yours will go back down to baseline after a while. Stay positive and take some good medicine! Keep me posted on what happens.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Thank you for all the words. I'm just really getting into a panic as it's getting worse and worse and I start my new job in 2 weeks. :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Its a cold, you will get over it.