My Tinnitus Is Getting Better — Now I'm on Day 3 of Prednisolone

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Strife_84, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      My ENT gave me Prednisolone.

80mg / day for 7 days
      40mg / day for 2 days
      20mg / day for 2 days

Now I am on day 3 of Prednisolone. Tinnitus has lasted about 2 weeks. I got it from exposing myself to too much music during several days.

Improvements:

-High pitch noise has reduced.
      -I can control my internal sounds a bit with my jaw now. Not possible before.
      -Pain in left ear is 99% gone.
      -Feeling of pressure in ears has reduced.

Negatives:
      -Hissing sound has increased. Sounds like deflating tyre.
      -Prednisolone can keep you awake.

I go walks daily. I try to run a bit.
      I don't use alcohol at all, I've been sober for 3 months.

I don't use anti-depressants or antipsychotics, even I have been diagnosed with cyclothymia. Those only mess up your head and can make tinnitus worse (it's on side effect list). I did take one antipsychotic at the week i got tinnitus because I was depressed. I have no idea if that caused my tinnitus. I find it unlikely to come from one 1mg pill. After taking it I felt like crap and threw them into garbage.

No headphone usage of any kind!

I don't try to mask my tinnitus, but keep some sound source at low volume so I can concentrate on that too.

I am happy there has been some improvement. But this still sucks.
      I still wish I could back in time.

But I am feeling better than a week ago.

Not much, but it's still an improvement.

• Like Like x 7
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. cry_of_the_w1nd
      Blah

cry_of_the_w1nd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection
      thats cool, my doc gave me predisolone too for my swollen sinuses. today is day 3 for me. i told him my ringing started when i took augmentin and keflex for my strep throat. but he said those antibiotics do not have those side effects. im so confused @_@

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      As tinnitus fades, high pitch tone changes to a hiss. Eventually a hiss begins to sound less and less intense.

It is amazing that you have had so much progress in such a short time. Normally people take 3-6 months to get to where you are at now. There is a high chance that you will get to hear silence again, or at least get to that "can hear it only in quiet rooms" stage.

• Like Like x 4
    4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      It’s strange that you say that because I have noticed the high pitch noise I had also turn into a hiss over time. I wonder why that is. Interesting nonetheless.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      I *think* I'm in the same boat, will be 2 months on the 7th. Had 5 good days in a row, but had a bit of a setback yesterday. Flooding, and power went out so had to start, and listen to a noisy generator to keep sump pump running. Had little in the way of ear protection. Got a hiss today, but not all that bad...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Consider buying 3M 1100 earplugs and/or X5A or X4A muffs.

7. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      I was actually waiting for Browning HDR's from Amazon. They didn't show in time for yesterday's fiasco, so had some 3m earplugs here but they didnt' cut it. Cancelled the Amazon order and bought a pair this morning fro Cdn. Tire here in Canada. They have the highest rating I've seen for earmuffs, 37NRR. Wore them today in the John Deere tractor and could barely hear it running. https://www.browning.com/products/s...and-ear-protection/hdr-hearing-protector.html

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      Prednisone is absolutely amazing, but you need to watch your diet, sleep and anxiety levels over the coming days. That dosage is absolutely insane (my doctor even fretted over giving me 40 mg per 2 days) and you may get increased appetite (and weight gain) difficulty with sleep, and you may feel heightened anxiety- not because of the tinnitus, but because of whatever is in the pred.

Your reaction so far tells me only good things. Every time I take a course of pred and get a good night's rest I wake up with the exact same "hissing/static" sensation, and it's far more pleasant to deal with than ringing.

Now before I give you more good news, I must tell you that what you're experiencing may not last long after you stop taking pred. It isn't a cure- it will help reduce the volume, intensity, and any pain you're experiencing, but it probably won't end the noise entirely. When the ringing- probably- returns, don't freak out.

The good news is that, like Bill said, you may be well on your way to healing. A return to silence is possible for many people and avoiding excessively loud noises will definitely help that. Don't isolate yourself.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am not sure why you say that it is strange that I say that. If your high pitch noise had turned into a hiss, it means that you are healing. Your hiss will hopefully eventually change from a punctured tire hiss to the kind of noise you hear when you get a large seashell close to your ear.

You've had tinnitus since the 1990s. When did your high pitch tone change into a hiss?

10. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      A recent unavoidable acoustic trauma made it significantly worse / act differently.

Where is the info on the high pitch to hiss? I would like to read more about this.

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've had it happen to me. After three months, my T switched to a hiss. Then I got a new acoustic trauma from a loud phone, and it switched back to a high pitch tone that was harder to ignore than the hiss. I also remember reading numerous posts where people describe it switching to a hiss, and then several months later describe the hiss becoming softer.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do hope I am getting better... Now I finally had somewhat decent sleep And slept almost 8 hours. That is the most I've slept since I got this.

I put some rain sound so I fell asleep better. Right now I cannot hear the hiss, but the high pitch is there not as loud as usual.

I really hope this goes over soon. I miss creating my music.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope this stays after I'm off medicine... There has been slight improment for several days now.

My rigth ear does not hiss at the moment. I am in the most silent room in my apartment (the bathrooms)

There is no silence, I can hear the high pitch, but now the hissing is lower in volume. It is there but much more silent than yesterday.

I did expose my ears to noise yesterday. After that that hissing got lower in volume. I find it odd.

Anyway, I will keep you posted.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update :

Now that I am more awake and outside street noise increases, so does the hissing.

But I think it's a good sign if it's fairly silent when waking up?

• Like Like x 1
    15. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      Yes, all of this is very good news. Is it mostly hissing? Any ringing?

I have found over time that my tinnitus will be very gentle in the mornings and become slightly louder and more obtrusive as the day rolls on. If I stay up too late it can get fairly bad.

Remember to be careful and not expose yourself to actually damaging noise.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you are fortunate enough for it to go away, or to become manageable, I hope you will be Very careful when it comes to creating music.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have this high pithced steady whine in my ears. More on left than right.Not as loud as week ago.

I am still wondering how I did this to myself...

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2 weeks gone.

Tinnitus is better now than week ago.

Maybe slightly lower in volume and balance problems are gone.

19. SashaG
      Alone

SashaG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI, Stress - recovered after 4 years
      I made the same experience with my medication, took it for about 2 weeks, low dosage of 40 - 60 mg, after taking it, the sounds became quieter and calmer, you could actually witness it in real time.

I often put on ear protection, the silence was actually good for my hearing, but when the meds did run out, the noises came back and I am now on a much higher dosis.

Prior to yesterday, I was feeling super positive, just some high pitched tone left, something that might also have to do with stress, muscle issues or so, as it seems to be a pulsating sound / contraction next to my right eye.
      My doctor and I still said, we should stop with the meds for now and see how it goes. This was a mistake, sadly.

Yesterday, in the evening it became so loud, that I had to take another dose of 60mg else I wouldn´t have made the night.

Now I am taking 200, 200 and 100 and we see how it goes. Having silence partly, gave me so much hope, but all that is shattered right now.

Since we both make music, I understand how terrible the situation is. What I don´t seem to fully understand is however, why the meds work, if its about us having damaged hearing. If something is damaged, you would think it can´t become better in 30 minutes after taking a pill. It would need weeks, months to recover, even if our cells regenerate every 24-48 hours.

How can meds improve our hearing so fast, if they are not actually supposed to do this. Why can´t everyone just take those meds then and find peace´? This is the number one thing I have not understood yet, it´s like a mystery to me.

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Small update:

+my tinnitus has lower volume now than week ago.

+it doesn't react to outside sounds as much anymore. It has more constant volume.

+my sensitivity to certain frequencies has gotten better. I tolerate certain sounds better than week ago. I don't find myself being as cautious anymore when flushing toilet or washing hands or other normal sounds. So it has improved.

-still having feeling of having two rubber balls inside my ears (inside head, not in ear canal)

-feeling of pressure builds up inside ear when around noisy enviroment.

-certain sound do feel distorted. Not sure if it's my crappy TV or there really is something wrong with my ear.

Overall: my situation has improved since I got this condition.

I am worried though because my medicine (prednisolon) will run out after this week.

I am still not using headphones, I avoid loud places and enviroments. I still save my ears as much as I can, but also live as normal life as I can.

My audiogram is somewhat normal.
      It was not taken in a soundproof room (it was a normal patient room) so the results are not accurate.

Attached Files:

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. SashaG
      Alone

SashaG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Similar situation on my end. The horn, fire alarm sound is very quiet in the background, I have to focus on it to hear it. The electrified sound seems unchanged, but might also have a lot to do with my nerves.

Doctors meeting is tomorrow, good luck with your situation and protect those ears, it seems to do wonders on my end.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good luck to doctor! I will go once to doctor after my medicines are done.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Small update,

As my T is still acting up strangely (it has no logic) I think last night was most silent yet and this day has been more silent than others.

Still sensitive to certain sounds.
      Small pain in left ear.
      But volume of T has reduced a bit.
      Still having physical sensation in ears (lifeless, dull ears, feels blocked)

This is improvement.

I still save my ears but I do live normal life. I only avoid loud sounds.

I've been even practicing my hearing a bit. I have shaken coins in my hand (feels uncomfortable in ears) and I have rustled paper also. Those sound nasty to my ear, but I have done so few minutes daily.

I need to teach my brain that those are safe sounds.

No headphones, no music listening, only TV slightly below normal volumes.

I hope my condition keeps improving...

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    24. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      You can get cured if you continue protecting your ears for the next two years, ears are very delicate, yesterday I got a spike even after wearing ear plugs, but now it's gone. Protect your ears, you still have a chance, maybe after three to four months you become habituated.

• Like Like x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    25. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      Keep us updated, and please do not do stupid shit like some people taking gigantic doses of prednisone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I am now getting off prednisolon. I still have 3 days left. Getting smaller doses daily.

I will keep you updated.

27. SashaG
      Alone

SashaG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Same here, the meds have helped, it's insane how much torture it is, if you feel that your ears are exploding. There is no escape, no rescue, except for the meds. I am grateful for them, they did nothing bad to me, but only good.

In one week, the dosage is down to zero and then the road continues with something for the blood flow. I noticed that ambient noise, like the fan of a building outsides, makes my tinnitus louder, while the living room where I have no such noise, turns it off.

Based on that, I believe the damage in the ear is at those exact frequencies that the fan does, or it´s about something else that triggers in said room, as my neighbour has his kitchen below my bedroom.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I need to get appointment for my ENT too if there is still some medicine I could try after this...

Just came in from a shopping trip. Funny how my tinnitus is now lower as I exposed myself sounds.

My head actually feels like I've been in a boxing match...

29. SashaG
      Alone

SashaG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I noticed the same when I take my hearing protection off for some minutes, it's as if my brain rewires parts of it or something. But yea, I am too scared too expose myself to a lot of noise.

As for the meds, I never took any meds all my life, so for me this is also brand new, but there seems to be no other way than trying everything I can.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Final 20mg prednisolon has entered my system today.

There has been improvement in my conditions since I started taking it. Although I cannot be sure if it was just time that has made my T better, or prednisolon.

I still have T and certain Frequencies feel really bad to my ear. It is strange because I cam watch TV at almost normal volume, but when I am just putting laundry in my cabinets, the sound of clothes make my ear feel uncomfortable same as Like chalkboard screeching.

The volume is not loud, but is some certain frequencies that just feel very uncomfortable. No pain, but strange feeling.

But my "hyperacusis" has improved. Few weeks ago I couldn't handle flushing a toilet well. Now I can. I can even be at moderately noisy places, like in a mall for some times.

World still seems louder than before. Which is strange.

My inside my ears it still feels: "dull, heavy, lifeless, numb" I don't really know how to describe it any better. They don't feel like they used to.

After I get exposed to sounds for long period of time, my ears feel like they build up pressure inside my ear. It's like something gets Imflammated inside my ears.

It'd hard for me to write accurately since English is not my native language but I try my best :)

Anyway, this is now week 4. There has been improvements, lots of them.

Today as I woke up I realized this was the most silent morning yet.

But I do miss silence...

If I get back to making music I will have lots of ideas for my music because of this...

"I was born from violence,
      an eternal pain, without light.
      I am missing the silence,
      But won't go down without a fight. "

Something like that.

• Like Like x 2