My Tinnitus Is Getting Louder Every Day

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathan McAlum, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Nathan McAlum
      Hurting

Nathan McAlum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Noise maybe?
      I've had tinnitus for about 5 months, it was fairly loud but consistent and I got used to it for the first 3 and a half months, but then it started to get louder and louder after I got hyperacusis in late May. Earlier today my tinnitus was so loud my ears were physically burning from the extreme hissing, I couldn't think straight and it was just painful.

I don't know what's going on, but it's slowly been getting louder and louder for the past 8-9 days and it's still doing so, my hearing sounds distorted and I can feel my tinnitus constantly throbbing and pulsating in volume, it's incredibly high pitched and cannot be masked or eased with anything. I've made a post about this hissing tone 2 or 3 days ago, but it's definitely gotten much worse since then.

My dad almost took me to the hospital because it was so bad, but they can't really do anything about it.

Anyone else been having an extreme spike lately?

• Creative Creative x 1
    2. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Try completely avoiding any sound whatsoever for a few days and see if that promotes healing.
      I sincerely hope it goes down for you, my tinnitus seems to be getting worse, but slowly.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Nathan McAlum

It would help to know what has caused your tinnitus? Since you have hyperacusis I will assume the tinnitus was caused by "exposure to loud noise/sounds". Before the onset of tinnitus, were you a regular user of headphones/earbuds? If not did you attend clubs or concerts were loud music is played? If the answer is yes to either one of this questions then it's likely the tinnitus was noise induced.

Noise induced tinnitus usually (but not always) gets worse by either using headphones/earbuds even at low volume or, subjecting your ears and auditory system to loud sounds. Please click on the links below and read my posts that I think will be of help to you.

If you have been using headphones then I advise you to stop and not use them even at low volume.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan McAlum
      Hurting

Nathan McAlum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Noise maybe?
      It's possible it could be noise induced, but there really wasn't any specific sound that really triggered it, one day I noticed my hearing being a bit unbalanced on one side and a few days later they just started ringing. Thank you for the response, I'll look into those links, I greatly appreciate it.

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are welcome.

If you were a regular user of headphones, earbuds, using a headset for computer games? You haven't yet said, then the tinnitus was almost certainly "noise induced". Loud noise is the most common cause of tinnitus. If it has been getting worse, the usual reason is continuing to subject your ears and auditory system to sounds that it is not happy with.

If you are still using any form of headphones or listening to loud music my advice is to stop as you risk the tinnitus getting worse.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan McAlum
      Hurting

Nathan McAlum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Noise maybe?
      Now that you've mentioned it, I did use headphones quite a lot before my T started, I did used to listen to loud music very frequently so that likely has a big role in it, thanks for the response.

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had tinnitus for many years and knew the moment I read your post and saw hyperacusis, that the tinnitus was probably noise induced and caused by Headphones. These are the most dangerous devices on the planet for causing tinnitus, because people do not realise how loud they are listening to music when using them.

My advice is to never ever use any form of headphones again, if you don't want to risk the tinnitus getting worse. It is your choice. Your tinnitus is likely to improve providing you stop using headphones even at low volume. Follow my advice in the links to my posts and things will get easier with time. I advise you use "sound enrichment" whenever possible more is explained in my posts.

Best of luck.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1