My Tinnitus Is Going Away — Here Is My Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Gemxpert, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Gemxpert
      Amazed

Gemxpert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection - left Ear
      Hello,

This is a Tinnitus Success Story!!! (Finally Right). Hang in there, don't believe the hype about having it past 3 months, 6 months and it staying at that level forever.

My "Chart":
      Tinnitus started about 1 year ago due to an ear infection.
      Hearing Tests:
      4 hearing tests showed excellent results.
      Symptoms:
      Left ear tinnitus was severe, dizziness, sensitivity to light etc.
      Doctor Visits:
      MRI clean
      ENTs had no answers...

Neurologist perfoemd a nerve test (VEMP or similar).
      He felt my tinnitus wouldn't last forever and damage to the "nerve" was slight.

Diet:
      Caffeine helps, not hurts, for me anyhow.

My solution was Magnesium Oxide, 500mg before bedtime, it makes you tired so take before bed. Magnesium calms your nerves and it greatly reduced my tinnitus. I can function normally now. It has also been about a year so the "nerve" might be healing as well.
      Flonase, I also had eustachian tube dysfunction, and have an ear grommet which at the time was the right thing to do to relieve the great pressure I had in my ear.

Thanks, good luck! Hang in there. It can get better!

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I’m really happy to hear it got better for you but, unfortunately, it doesn’t get better for everyone. Nonetheless, I understand your good intentions to give others hope but we can do so while being considerate of those for whom it doesn’t get better.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 3
    3. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Great news, how much Flonase and when did you have grommets inserted, before or after the tinnitus?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gemxpert
      Amazed

Gemxpert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection - left Ear
      Success stories are exactly what I needed to hear when I was at my worst, and I am sure many people want to hear success stories not just "you are stuck with this forever" there is a lot of negativity on this subject and my intentions were not to offend anyone, rather to provide my common cause/symptoms and status of recovery.
      Its too bad you assumed that I am not considerate from a success email. I am not 100% out of the woods myself, but celebration of success is in order.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    5. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Gemxpert

It definitely is great to hear success.

How long did it take before you started to notice it got quieter? And what level is it at now on a 1 out of 10 scale? Can you only hear it in quiet rooms?

Thanks.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gemxpert
      Amazed

Gemxpert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection - left Ear
      Hello,
      It was at one point a 10 out of 10 within the first 2 months of starting.
      its now sometimes a 1 and can only make out in quiet room. Today it's a little more noticeable I would consider today a "bad" today which is now much better than the bad days were.
      To sleep at night I use bose ear buds (left ear only) they have been great!

Flosnase - I take two shots in the left (affected ear) only each morning. I noticed that when I don't use flose nase or only a little, the buzzing is more noticeable. perhaps the swelling of the nerve, not sure how / why its working.

Good luck to you. as I said, I am not out of the woods, but I am back to living as I once was. I know when its bad, there is no one that can understand unless they have it or had it themselves... the dizziness, the sound the strange overall feeling that is hard to describe.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gemxpert
      Amazed

Gemxpert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection - left Ear
      To answer your question about the grommet in my left ear...
      when I first caught the cold/virus, I had a lot of pressure in my ear.
      The ENT office / Tympanogram showed -100 for the left ear, which I understand can still be within normal eust tube limits, however, the pressure and headache were severe. I didn't have the tube inserted until the ringing started, because we figured that perhaps the eust tybe was contributing to the ringing.
      the ENT inserted the grommet and the ringing was much worst for 2 weeks from the added inflammation I assume.
      The grommet was put in late October 2018/ For now the ENT wants to keep it as is and let sleeping dogs lie.

Thanks

8. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Did you eventually experience hear silence again? Thanks you for posting your success history.

9. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @acute are you doing better? Has it lowered for you a bit yet?