My Tinnitus Keeps Switching Ears: Does It Mean My Tinnitus Could Be Temporary?

Discussion in 'Support' started by brettbolt, Nov 24, 2020.

1. brettbolt

brettbolt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov. 3, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had tinnitus since November 3rd when I was extremely stressed and suffering from lack of sleep. Usually its in just one ear at a time but sometimes both. And at times it is gone in both ears.

I took Amoxicillin from October 13th - 23rd for infections in both ears.

I was taking NSAIDs (Ibuprofen or Naproxen) for about 10 months before the first tinnitus incident. (I stopped as soon as I found out they could damage my hearing).

The tinnitus changes loudness and pitch if I turn my head, clench my jaw, or even if I stick out my tongue. I have chronic neck pain and at times it is really bad. Also my jaw hurts.

Anyway, my question is: Does the fact that my tinnitus switches ears mean that it is most likely temporary or permanent?

2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't think that it's possible to predict whether it's going to be permanent or temporary. You are early in, it might go either way. Having said that, mine which was fluctuating a lot, switching ears, changing volume, pitch, characteristics ended up staying, but stabilized after some months.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      brettbolt

brettbolt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov. 3, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is it easier to ignore now that it has stabilized?

4. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, it is. Unfortunately still changes in volume, it's reactive to loud-ish noises, but other than that it's better.
      (I have two other tones, but those are a whole different story.)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      brettbolt

brettbolt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov. 3, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thats good.

It seems that the more you try to fight it, the worse it gets.

I have noticed that people tend to post on this forum for a few months or up to a couple of years and then no more. I guess that they either get used to it mostly or it goes away. But I know there are many exceptions.

6. PrayForMe
      Pooptoast

PrayForMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10th September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blocking my ear with oil
      Has it got any better? I am nearly 3 months in from fluid in the ear it has gone lower in tone but I am still worried as the doctor said there's no fluid left and my hearing is fine. However I feel like I can still feel the fluid.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      brettbolt

brettbolt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov. 3, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am only 24 days since beginning of tinnitus. Now I can go to sleep without background sound. I was prescribed Xanax and Remeron.

Worrying about it doesn't help. It may be with me for the rest of my life or it might not. I have accepted that.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      brettbolt

brettbolt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov. 3, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It comes and goes. I find it's best for me to keep active. Usually when I do, after a while I notice complete silence (no tinnitus) and then carry on.

Whether I have the ringing in my ears is not up to me or anyone else. It just happens, or doesn't. I'm OK either way now.

• Like Like x 1
    9. PrayForMe
      Pooptoast

PrayForMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10th September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blocking my ear with oil
      If it comes and goes, I'm sure that's a sign of healing.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      brettbolt

brettbolt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov. 3, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Maybe so. My tinnitus took the day off today for the first time since I got it on November 3rd. :)

My tinnitus came on during a time of extremely high stress, anxiety, and lack of sleep 3 1/2 weeks ago. I think those things triggered it.

Xanax, Remeron, and some improving life circumstances have put it to rest mostly. And yesterday I was informed that my 96 year old mom tested negative for COVID-19. She is in a long term care facility which had a recent COVID-19 outbreak.

Also I had been taking the maximum dose of Ibuprofen or Naproxen Sodium for 10 months. I stopped taking those. In addition, I cut my dose of Lexapro (an SSRI) from 20 to 10 mg daily.

I took the 'try everything at once' approach to reducing/eliminating tinnitus. My plan is to stay on the same plan for a while.

If I manage to have minimal or no tinnitus for a while then my first goal will be to back off of the Xanax VERY slowly.But I will never take another Ibuprofen or Naproxen again! And I will do everything I can to not get in a mental rut like I was in around Nov. 3rd.

It is also quite possible that tinnitus will come back. Hopefully not, but if it does at least I know that it may take a day off every now and then! One day at a time...

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      brettbolt

brettbolt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov. 3, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's back in my left ear. Sometimes its in one ear or the other and sometimes it seems like its a buzzing electrical sound in my head.