My Tinnitus Pattern Changes Every Few Hours?

Discussion in 'Support' started by GBB, Sep 10, 2020.

1. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I’ve had bilateral tinnitus from an acoustic trauma for about 7 weeks now. Although the volume has reduced, it literally cycles through various phenomena every few hours.

Sometimes it is the normal tonal EEEEEEEEEE many of us know and hate.

Other times it is a pulsing eeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEE that feels like I can modulate the tones via my gaze.

Another variant which I find pleasant sounds like intermittent chimes on top of static, and yet at other times it sounds like high intensity wind, and the whine it makes as it is passing over a surface - somewhat dilute but with a “force” that makes my ears feel full.

I’m very confused as often I cycle through these all in a single day, with no discernible triggers - it’s like it is just abruptly changes every 2-3 hours. Although the volume has generally reduced, I really have no idea what is going on and it’s a bit distressing as I’ve seen few cases here where things vary so much throughout the day. Due to the variation I’m finding it hard to habituate.

Anyone else with this issue and have you seen changes over time?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      I only just came across this post but my tinnitus is very similar in how heavily my tinnitus fluctuates. I thought that triggers were either certain noises or increased blood pressure but they happen regardless anyway, so I'm confused. Definitely some version of reactive tinnitus in my case though.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I'm just speculating, but I feel as though people with tinnitus this variable, have more of a brain-based problem - I can't imagine that the variety of noises and the constant changing is merely down to a loss of hair cells or synaptic damage.

When you are in silence, does your tinnitus rev up? I don't mean just sounds louder - when I go into a silent room it is like my brain goes into overdrive generating all sorts of weird signals. Similarly, do you ever just feel depressed or off, as though your brain is behaving a little bit strangely?

This happens to me a great deal, and so I think my brain is very actively involved in my tinnitus. It sometimes feels like even when the tinnitus is not very loud, it is wearing my brain down with increased cognitive load.

Edit: Just to be clear, this has only been happening to me for the last 2 months, since onset. I NEVER had mental health issues or anything weird before this. I basically felt totally at home in my own body, and my favorite things to do would be to stay in and nap and or browse the web. It is high atypical for me to feel "off", or have periods of depression.

• Like Like x 1
    4. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      @GBB it sometimes randomly revs up in silence, though usually it quietens down especially if I don't move for a while. Again, my tinnitus is really variable and sometimes the source seems to be noise, but then not always - the same noise and noise levels make it louder one moment and another it doesn't change it at all.

I have had mental issues since childhood though, but aside from some work stress/just needing a week off I was actually doing really well the months before my onset. My tinnitus did mostly start after a 3 day long panic attack.

I have been extremely tired ever since the onset of my tinnitus though.

However the fact it usually quietens down when I'm content and/or resting makes your brain theory fairly plausible.

I'm just confused, and my tinnitus has just made no sense since onset in January.

• Hug Hug x 1