My Tinnitus Sometimes Disappears — There Must Be a Cure

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by caannen, Jul 31, 2021.

1. caannen

caannen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Surfers Ear , Loud Rock Concerts , unknown
      My name is Charles, I've had tinnitus for 50 years. The reason I believe there is a cure is that my symptoms disappear quite often, turning into an almost inaudible high tone that doesn't match any octave that I can tell. Somehow I've learned to cope with that hyper pitch.

At this point in time I sense two constant tones and one other tone not necessarily lower but different in pitch and wavering in and out.

Tomorrow I may not have anything of the sort. Only muffled hearing that is my norm nowadays.

I've always thought that Surfer's Ear was the cause of the ringing, which means that one's ear canal becomes narrower due to the body's attempt to block the cold ocean water by growing calcium nodules in the ear canal, an affliction that is very common in California where I grew up.

There is a trigger somewhere in my physiology that turns my tinnitus on, and it is very intangible and elusive.

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Possible minor whiplash or neck injury causing both somatic and pulsatile tinnitus sounds that come and go.
      50% chance - a twisted carotid artery.

Your other sounds could be from neck nerves and splenius capitis muscle.
      Thinking all centered near C4 and C5. 50% chance.

There's many other possibilities. Hard to say without radiological testing.
      Not much of a chance with multiple sounds that come and go that ears are directly involved, other than the muffling.

3. Farida

Farida Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Can it be thalamic dysrhythmia?

4. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I've heard the term being used on this forum before, but don't exactly understand how it relates to us. I know Thalamocortical dysrhythmia deals with some kind of dissonance in the oscillations generated in the brain/thalamus, but how does it relate to tinnitus? I'd like to know, in layman's terms.

Stacken

5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      This neuropsychiatric syndrome with those having tinnitus, most often also have Parkinson's Disease or epilepsy in which your doctor would suspect.

Of the thousands of people that I had talked to in my lifetime where I knew about their health and personality, only 3 made me wonder about this. A friend's behavior by email last night, had me thinking if he had thalamic dysrhythmia.