My Tinnitus Started with Electroconvulsive Shock Treatments

Discussion in 'Support' started by MichaelO, Aug 13, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. MichaelO

MichaelO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Because of severe depression I was was subject to Electroconvulsive Shock treatments (ECT). I noticed my after waking up from one of those sessions. It has remained fairly constant for four years now, though I notice it more at some times. It can be debilitating and I have only found auditory masking techniques to be helpful... but they are not a cure.

Has anyone else experienced tinnitus after ECT or an electrical shock? Is there research on this type of induced tinnitus?

Many thanks,

2. Mad maggot

Mad maggot Member

New zealand
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow! I didn't think anyone did that shock treatment stuff any more! I've not had that but know at least one person who did - he's way older than me. More like my dads age and he's fairly deaf now. Dunno if he has T though. I hope that if you went thru all that it at least did something good for your depression?