My Tinnitus Story (A Bit of Hope)

Discussion in 'Support' started by BoBoAstro, Nov 28, 2017.

1. BoBoAstro
      Bookworm

BoBoAstro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably loud music from earbuds.
      Hello, my name is Jack. As you can see, I have had Tinnitus for only one month (maybe a little longer).

I will say that just like everyone else who experiences this strange and unforgiving condition, I freaked out.

It started in my right ear. It would seem to close up and ring very loud for a few seconds and go away.

This went on for about 2 weeks.

Then, one morning, it did the ringing thing but didn't go away. I jumped up in a panic, had a little panic episode, and that was game over. I worried myself sick that entire day not knowing what was going on, but for some reason, my right ear stopped ringing and my left ear started.

This time being much louder and that is when I really started to have anxiety attacks (more than usual). I waited a few days to see what would happen but my nerves were shot, so I went to the emergency room. I found out that I had an ear infection and was given ear drops to help clear it up.

Now, I can't lie. In the those few days that I had been waiting to go see a Doctor, I had done a LOT of reading on Tinnitus. It started with the HORROR STORIES that we have all probably come across once or twice. This only added fear to what was already scaring me. I ended up in a bad spot, not eating, not sleeping, depressed to the max. I didn't know how I was going to live with a constant sound in my ear for the rest of my life.

So, I saw another doctor and he prescribed and antidepressant (Lexapro). I took it for 3 days but I noticed that the ringing was more aggressive. I then read online that people do indeed struggle with some Antidepressants and Tinnitus because it is Ototoxic. Great, now I am dealing with sadness, being anxious, and a sound that I can't stop....with no medicine to help. My life was over, is what I thought.

Here's where I say, you can help yourself. Now, I know it's only been one month...one tiny month, but I really do feel better than I did 4-5 weeks ago. I read a lot about habituating and how it can take a long time to do so. I am nowhere near being habituated, but I can say that 90% of the time I am not as frustrated with Tinnitus.

The sound is still there just as is was on day one. It gets louder with louder environments but it edges off when it gets quiet, but still noticeable. I was terrified of even turning the sink on when this first began because the water made it louder, and it still does, but hey...the dishes have to be done. Fear and anxiety and depression do contribute to how loud your Tinnitus can be whether you believe that or not, I do.

One month ago, I wanted to ram my head into the wall, today I am way happier than when this mess started. I have been reading a lot, I took up cooking, I am slowly starting to watch tv at a volume I can actually hear, I even went to a college football game (Yes I wore plenty of ear protection). I was nervous the entire time because I didn't want to make my Tinnitus worse, but I went anyway.

So with that being said and coming from an extremely anxious person, LIVE YOUR LIFE! It might take time, it WILL take time but you will feel better. I still haven't been to the gym since this started, but I will work my way there, just like you can work your way to your favorite hobbies.

I was afraid of EVERY sound, now I know that there's nothing I can do and opening a box of cereal isn't going to hurt me. I stay away from earbuds and headsets still, I doubt I'll ever use those again. I can only hope and pray, pray, pray that it doesn't get worse. If it does though, I'll learn to cope, just as the millions upon millions of others have.

So don't stress your life away, don't be afraid to speak to people, own your Tinnitus and don't let it bully you. I really do hope anyone reading this can find comfort and peace. DON'T WORRY, AND BE HAPPY.

2. Staceysl3

Staceysl3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Its good to read positive stories like this, I have only had T for just over a week, came out of the blue! Really struggling at the moment with anxiety and depression.... I feel like i sound like a drama queen as its only been a week but honestly ive never felt like this before!
      Glad you are feeling happier anyway, hopefully I can get there soon...

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Keep in mind that hearing protection might give you a false sense of security. You can hurt your ears even if you wear ear plugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BoBoAstro
      Bookworm

BoBoAstro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably loud music from earbuds.
      Stacey, sorry for such a super late response. I haven't been able to connect to Tinnitus Talk's webpage for some reason. How is everything going for you? Any change in a positive direction?