Myofascial TMD — Botox Into Tensor Veli Palatini (TVP) Muscle

Discussion in 'Support' started by Snow, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Snow

Snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am being treated by a neurologist for pain in muscles of mastication in face and neck.

A long time ago a doctor tried a small amount of Botox in the Tensor Veli Palatini (TVP) muscle, but it did not work very well.

Everything on the right side is pretty clear. The left side starts to spasm when I get out of bed and the spasms are painful.

It is pterygoid muscles in neck. I asked him about putting Botox in TVP once more and he is reluctant (not the same doctor). I don't think it did much before but we are getting there on the right side, while the left is taking forever and it keeps me dizzy.

If we get the pterygoid under control, will TVP follow?

My tinnitus went away on the right side, but not left.

Suggestions?

2. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      @Snow, did you ever have any success with this?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    3. yeezysqueezy

yeezysqueezy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TBI? + concerts + naproxen
      I know this is really old, but I met with a really good TMD physical therapist this week and she did say that if you can get the medial pterygoid to relax, the TVP should also relax.

4. Josh59

Josh59 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long-term noise trauma
      I'd like to hear from people who have used Botox on the tensor palate muscle and the masticatory muscles of the jaw, the temporalis muscle, the sternocleidomastoid muscle and other muscles that may play a role in contractions of the tensor tympani muscle (pain hyperacusis) and somatosensory tinnitus.