Need Help — I'm in Shock

Discussion in 'Support' started by Aschenherz, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Aschenherz
      Cheerful

Aschenherz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017 H since 7/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Today after someone threw some stones on a Mosaik, every hit was unbearable. Stress response and shaking.

What can I do in such situations? Is this hyperacusis or tinnitus? Please help me, I'm in shock.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think it's the sound that sends you in to panic mode and causes anxiety and that can spike tinnitus.

When you hear sounds that you are worried about try only give it one reaction-
      That is to walk away calmly and pass it off and don't dwell on it.
      Don't build up a phobia to sound and build up time around sounds your ears don't like.
      It will get easier I promise.

Love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    3. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      It's anxiety, with time you will learn that these sounds are not harmful. Give it a couple of months.

• Like Like x 2
    4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @Aschenherz, sounds like hyperacusis. As the others have said, it definitely gets better with time. You are just hypersensitive right now. Do try not to dwell on it, as it can make you phobic to the point you don't want to leave the house. And don't walk around with ear plugs in all the time, as it will make you even more sensitive.

If you feel panicky after hearing a sharp sound, try to calm yourself down with measured breathing techniques. Here are instructions for an easy one called four-square, or box, breathing. You can do it anywhere -- sitting in your car, on a park bench. Just go somewhere quiet right after you hear the noise, sit down and calm yourself and do the breathing. It won't take long for you to feel better.
      http://www.livestrong.com/article/74944-box-breathing-technique/

I still sometimes will feel briefly panicky if there is a sudden sharp noise, like microphone feedback when my choir is singing. But I can calm myself down pretty easily now.

@glynis's advice is spot on, too.
      Good luck. Really, this symptom will indeed improve. Remind yourself: It is only a noise, it just lasted for a few seconds, it will not make my tinnitus worse, it will not harm me.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aschenherz
      Cheerful

Aschenherz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017 H since 7/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks a lot for the good and helpful comments. Just thought, i was over the hyperacusis and it was behind my back.

6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks, @Aschenherz. Yeah, I know the feeling -- two steps forward, then one step back. But remember, you ARE making progress! It takes as long as it takes, don't beat yourself up about not being there yet.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Buy a pair of musician ear plugs to help you when you are going out to busy areas. I have a custom pair and they are excellent. Hyperacusis can take a long time to heal. I am much better than I was but still have it to a degree.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aschenherz
      Cheerful

Aschenherz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017 H since 7/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Dont have the money for this thing.. unfortunately.