Need Some Help / Advice (Pregabalin / Mild Tinnitus)

Discussion in 'Support' started by SmoothOne, Oct 8, 2015.

1. SmoothOne

SmoothOne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/06/2015
      Hello, i have tinnitus since june. It started as a moderate/mild high pitch sound in my right ear/head (first month was very hellish) and got somewhat better with time. Audiograms are good, no hearing loss detected. It only really bothers me at night and in silent rooms, makes me anxious. I got used to T since august and it rarely bothers me during the day anymore, when external sounds and work mask it 99%. Yesterday my neurologist prescribed Pregabalin 75mg to me, but im scared it may amp up T cause (acording to the internet) it could be an ototoxic(?) drug. My aim here is to get rid of the remainings of T and the anxiety it brings to my nigthts. Any Advice, besides masking sounds? Should i try the med? Pregabalin can cause permanent hearing damage or T?
      Thanks!

2. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Did he prescribe it for tinnitus, for anxiety, or for something else?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SmoothOne

SmoothOne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/06/2015
      Specifically for T, he is 93 and considered a legend in my country, Dr. reported two patients cured by this method... (they had similar symptoms to mine, single ear etc..)

4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I started a course of it, but the side effects of depersonalization, rage, and suicidal ideation put me off continuing (during a lucid moment). Maybe if I could stop working for a year or so I'd try again, knowing what I know now. Sometimes with these drugs you simply need to push through that stage to get to the benefit.....then there's the getting off them.

5. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      If that is gabapentin, then I know somebody who was prescribed it for a pain condition. She reported her T had gone right down from starting it. I have no further news as to whether it continued.

6. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      @PaulBe hey paul :)
      I have Derealization. Yesterday my doc prescribed me some pregabalin due to my chronic foot pain. I really want to take it because my feet are killing me. I work in a warehouse where I have to walk/stand 8 hours a day. So I would like to take it to relieve my pain.
      My derealization though, went skyhigh 6 months ago when I got T and it has not calmed down since. So I need to work 8 hours a day and I cannot afford not going to work. I am scared of the side effects.
      Do you think it can amplify my T or my DR?
      And what do you think if I only take it for 30 days will it be hard to come off them as well?

I would appreciate your advise/ opinion :)

7. Atara

Atara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Strongly believe it to be Otomize ear spray
      I tried pregabalin once and it totally changed the sounds of my tinnutus - for the better. My 'reversing truck' sound and a high pitched ring became a whistle across my head, which was preferable. At the time I had sounds coming from left ear only. After taking Sertraline, my tinnutus changed back to its original form but now in the right ear! Thinking of trying the pregabalin as a one off to see whether it changes my tinnutus back to the whistle sound which was much easier to mask. Not sure whether this will work or react badly with the Sertraline, causing more unpleasantness! Any opinions on this matter would be appreciated.

8. Hadassah
      Bookworm

Hadassah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I take 1800 mg/day of gabapentin (Neurontin, chemically close to pregabalin) for severe restless leg syndrome, and I have for many years. I tried pregabalin (Lyrica) for a few months but stopped due to it being a very expensive drug, even with insurance. I've had tinnitus since last summer, and severe tinnitus for about the past 5 months. And while I don't take my meds for tinnitus, I have never experienced any decrease in my tinnitus due to either drug. I haven't done enough research to ascertain if it's been effective for many tinnitus sufferers, but I hope it is beneficial for many. In the meantime, I'm praying a medication will soon be found with high effectiveness for those of us with tinnitus. Bless you!

9. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I started Pregabalin A couple weeks ago.
      50mg in the morning and evening.

Maybe it helped a little. Since my T varies a lot its hard to say. I would rate it maybe 1-2 points on the subjective 10 scale better now. Yesterday I began to double the dosage to see if it brings any more benefit.

Side effects: none.

Meanwhile I tapered off amitryptilin, which unfortunately didnt help me.

10. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Update:
      Pregabaline 2x100mg is not or only slightly helpful for diminishing my T.

It is helpful to reduce the related anxiety. Also sleep is no issue, even though it makes not tired.
      Side effects are negligible.

I started to try it since I habe various somatic ways to change T or induce new one by pressing on the skull bone on different spots. So my conclusion was that a pressure on the auditory nerve may be the culprit, analogous to trigeminus neuralgia.
      Pregabalin seems to be effective to treat trigeminus neuralgia and I hoped it might help with my T. But today it obvious it doesn't.

I will continue for another 20days and then try something else. Next steps are jaw massages and atlas adjustment.

Even though I tend to slowly forget the lightness of living before T, I will not be able to accept there is no reason for this tremendous changes in intensity. So my search for relief goes on...

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      In the studies posted by Markku from the polish conference a couple of articles related to somatic t and what type of manipulation or physio would be beneficial, will re-read but it would be useful to know what to ask the practitioner to do...will look into it too...