Need Some Help, Feeling So Lost at the Moment

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jcb, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Firstly I just want to state I genuinely feel for anybody who has tinnitus and pray daily for everyone.

I’ve had tinnitus since I had a cold/chest infection December time. It’s been just over 2 months now and I’ve got this hissing/ringing in both ears but it sometimes changes to sound like a car engine outside if that makes sense ( I think it only started in my left ear) if I put pressure on my jaw it spikes in only my left ear and also if I put pressure on the front of my skull it spikes a little in both ears. I did used to listen to music via headphones but not excessively and always on a low volume. I’m still not sure what the cause of it is and that’s adding to my stress.

I’ve been the doctors 3 times and they won’t send me to the ENT as the “assure me it’ll will fade as I’m still all bunged up” I’m on the verge of tears all the time and get worse when it comes to bedtime. I’m not sleeping that well and have different noises on to try and mask it but doesn’t really help.

The noise is manageable when I’m occupied as it’s not as loud as some peoples tinnitus but I’m feeling so anxious all the time and feel so lost.

I’ve been for a hearing test and my hearing is fine, I’ve recently went to a dentist and he thinks I may be grinding my teeth at night as my face muscles are tight ( no damage to my teeth though apart from a cracked tooth which is unrelated to the grinding, he put a temporary filling on as I’m terrified of getting any drilling done) and was given some exercises for my jaw to do and see if they help. The dentist said he couldn’t say 100% it’s TMJ related.

My ears feel full and keep popping which then leads to a noise that sounds like morse code, this fades after a while and goes back to normal but when that happens I go into a panic attack and feel so nauseous.
      I’m terrified of it getting louder and staying like that, if I sit a certain way it spikes for a few seconds ( but this doesn’t happen all the time) and goes back to normal. At night sometimes the ringing gets louder and wakes me up which again makes me feel nauseous and have a panic attack.

I’m trying to stay positive but it’s hard and feel like this has taken over my life and it’s hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I’m sorry if this thread is all over the place but I’m finding it hard to concentrate.

I’d appreciate any advice and any ideas on what has caused my tinnitus, thanks everybody.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hello,

it doesn't matter if this thread has been posted many times. YOU are posting your concern and WE are here to help you and make you feel better. Your situation is quite normal, many folks feel and have felt the way you are feeling. Tinnitus is an odd ordeal and no one is really prepared to go from silence to ringing and noise coming out our heads.

At times so so many thoughts go through our minds, because of the tinnitus. My formula for tinnitus is this: T+S+R/D

Time = Time is the biggest healer/coping/adaptation/habituation of them all. It will simply take time. Each day can be a small victory for us. Taking it day by day and taking it slow is the way to go.

Support = Gain as much support and love as possible. From friends, family...anyone that you can trust.

Relaxation/Distraction = This is VERY crucial. Train your mind to not focus on the sound, do something that you love (safe for the ears) and shift the thoughts away from the noise.

At the end of the day, know that you are going to be ok. Your tinnitus might stay or it might get less intense or it might go away. We cannot predict what tinnitus will do. Protect your ears but do NOT go overboard. Many people including myself have full blown tinnitus and we simply live our lives and carry on.

Take care :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Thank you fishbone.

I will try that but it’s so hard at the moment, I’m so up and down.
      I feel bad as I know there are people who have ringing much louder than me in their ears.
      It just seems to have taken over my life and I’m scared to do anything incase I make the ringing louder.
      The fact I’m still not 100% what caused this is also driving me mad.

But again thank you and I will try some T+S+R/D

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Fishbone, you are so very kind and warm to those of us struggling with our T.
      Eve