Need Some Help With Some Things That Get My Fear Of Tinnitus Going

Discussion in 'Support' started by sgal, Feb 12, 2014.

1. sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      Hi all,

I've posted a few times so some of you will know that I've had tinnitus for about a decade but it just recently got worse. It's only been about a month since my T got louder so I'm kind of at square one again with habituation. One of the changes in my T is that it is a lot louder at night than it use to be, and when I wake up in the morning or after a nap, it is really blaring. At least, that's how I perceive it to be. That scares me and my imagination takes off and you know the drill probably. One thing that is different for me than for a lot of folks is that I have a substantual hearing loss. My hearing aids aren't comfortable to wear at night so sound machines etc. don't help with the T. My theory is that my brain gets so starved for sound at night that the tinnitus just gets a lot worse. When I put my hearing aids back in, the T quiets down quite a bit. Do any of you have the same problem? Thank you. One of the hardest things to get use to is this new loud T when I wake up from sleep and I don't like that it makes me feel more reliant on my hearing aids either.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      sgal
      I have hearing aids with targeted white noise generators (masking specific to my T); I wouldn't go to bed without them. Have you checked into them?

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      Hi Mark and thanks for answering. I haven't looked into this but it sounds like a good solution. My hearing aids are behind the ear and really uncomfortable to wear laying down since I'm a side sleeper. Maybe there is something that I could wear in the ear to mask the sound. My concern there would be that since the masking wouldn't be coming through my hearing aids, the sound might be damageing to my hearing. I'll check and see what's available.

4. Dubinvero

Dubinvero Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2014
      Mark,

What hearing aids did you buy. Did you compare them to any other units before you purchased.

I am considering getting hearing aids with the tinnitus masking feature. Your feedback would help me. Thanks

5. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      , post: 32588, member: 3188"]Mark,

What hearing aids did you buy. Did you compare them to any other units before you purchased.

I am considering getting hearing aids with the tinnitus masking feature. Your feedback would help me. Thanks[/quote]

sgal
      My hearing aids are behind the ear also (and I'm side sleeper); they don't bother me one bit -- I can't even tell they are there (physically speaking). The hearing aids and white noise generators are one in the same (fully programmable and configurable for your situation -- hearing and tinnitus). They are new on the market; and have been an answer to prayer (for me). I wear them all the time; I can turn to four different (pre-configed) channels and turn the white noise up or down (depending on my T day). The white noise is targeted to your specific T (not just wind chimes, etc); they program it in from a computer. In fact, you are the one that finds your 'comfort' white noise (using a lap top and by simply moving the mouse around to different pitches and ranges.
      From my understanding, hearing aids and noise generators have had a bit of a bad rap (since no one ever really put the two together to this extent); now both functions are put into one set and they are very subdued (people really can't tell you have them on unless you point them out).
      I got mine at Nebraska Hearing Instruments in Omaha (NE); when my T first hit (I was in the profound end of the spectrum) I would have traded the deed to my house of them.

6. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dubinvero
      I got some relatively 'new to the market' aids from Nebraska Hearing Instruments (Omaha, NE). They combined hearing aids with white noise generators. You are an active participant during the configuration process in that you get to pick the pitch and range of white noise that gives you the most comfort/relief. Of course, they continue to work with you (so you can re-adjust white noise, etc.). The big difference with these aids is they don't just have arbitrary 'wind chime' noise, they have four different programmable channels so you can have four different ranges (and mixtures) of white noise and hearing aids.
      They have been life savers for me -- made it very easy to get to sleep at night (getting to sleep at night was a BIG plus).

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Dubinvero

Dubinvero Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2014
      Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to try the unit you selected. Do you wear your hearing aids all day and all night.?
      Do you still use external relaxing sounds at night to help with sleep or are the hearing aids sufficient on their own..

I am also considering the Neuromonics unit. I realize that this is not a hearing aid. Based upon your positive response to the hearing aids I wonder if using Neuromonics 4 hours a day would give greater long term benefits than using the hearing aids only.

Mark, I greatly appreciate your feedback.

8. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Dubinvero
      The hearing aids are sufficient (alone); I wear them just shy of 24/7 but not for the white noise, I need them as hearing aids. I only turn on the white noise when I need it. However, I find I need it less all the time -- T is getting lower and I'm far more habituated.

I'm not too familiar with neuromonics other than it is composed of sounds/music that help you cope with T (it could be effective, I have no experience); in the end, whatever helps you break the cycle (that is T) would be a good route to go. I just know I needed 24/7 help with mine (it was bad!).

Mark