Need Some Pep Talk — Tinnitus Has Gone Through the Roof After Stomach Flu

Discussion in 'Support' started by Christian82, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Christian82

Christian82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Hey there,

I have had tinnitus for over 4 years now.

Last week I got sick with the stomach flu and my tinnitus went through the roof.

I am still battling with being sick and I have the bad habit that when tinnitus is so loud I do the valsalva maneuver a couple of times per hour because it helps sometimes.

But over the last day my tinnitus has got more high pitched.

I am just wondering if I did cause some damage to the inner ear I must have felt it, right?

Or do you think its just the compulsive thinking that makes it louder and high pitched?

I am just a little scared that I have to start all over again. I took me 3 years to get to a point where I could only hear it when I am in a silent room or when I was stressed out.

Some advice would be nice.

Thank you!

2. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I dont know if the valsalva maneuver can make tinnitus worse or not, but to be on the safe side, try not doing it and let your flu pass. your tinnitus increased because of the flu and you are still dealing with it so that makes sense as to why it's still elevated. so try to focus on taking care of the flu and hopefully your tinnitus will go back to previous levels. eat well and stay hydrated to help your immune system fight the flu and dont take any meds that are known to make tinnitus worse.

I take this when I'm dealing with the flu or cold. Its helped every time.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K9CDSI/

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery

Sorry you are sick with the flu @Christian82. You are probably exhausted mentally and physically and both will affect the level of my tinnitus. Mine always goes back to the usual.

Drink lots of water and rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christian82

Christian82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Thx guys :) I have not been sick for so long i have forgotten what kind of impact this can have on a person’s body.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christian82

Christian82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Well had a huge increase last night an now I am back to square one where i have been 4 Years ago :(
      I hope i did not cause any permernent damage and this is just a spike...

6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I am unfortunately a pro at having stomach issues and I will say this much. The stress it can bring unto your mind and body is horrible. If you have a stomach illness, then your goal is to get better. It's up to you if you take meds or not. The stomach just like the ears are a sensitive spot. It takes a bit of time for it to get better. Once it does get better, you have to maintain it as well and make sure it stays healthy.

After the havoc is gone, then the tinnitus can possibly get better as well. It's a day by day ordeal for both the tinnitus and the stomach issues. I know how you feel, because I face stomach discomfort daily myself.....

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christian82

Christian82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      I really hope its just the late reaction to the stomacheflu because i am all better in that area. I just hope that i did not damage my ear by doing the valsalva to often...
      i stop doing it and went to be last night and then suddenly it go so extremely loud :( now i dont know what to so and how to go on...

8. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      This is good to read @Christian82.

I understand the fear it will take time to rest your ears. Can you keep busy doing something?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christian82

Christian82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      I am trying to... I always though is was so fortunate that after 3 Year my T transformed in to a soft hissing sound in the background.

After I did the maneuver everything was ok, when I went to bed the second, I laid down this super high hiss started. Its so high pitched now and it feels like the first day when I got T 3 years ago.

I am so angry at myself for doing this…

I just really hope that this is just a spike and it settles in time.

10. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Yes this happened(s) to me also @Christian82 .

This always seemed to settle down for me. It is very unsettling and upsetting.

Let go of the anger when possible and tell yourself it was one of those "lessons". Arggg...I so hated that back in the day.

Really hope you are doing better....