Need to Take Mebendazole — Says Common Side Effect Is Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by sonicboom2000, Jun 2, 2017.

1. sonicboom2000
      Sad

sonicboom2000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It is looking like I need to take Mebendazole for a few days to treat parasites.

It lists as one of the 3 common side effects is ringing in the ears.

I don't want to make my tinnitus any worse than it already is.

Is this just temporary tinnitus? Does anyone have experience with taken Mebendazole? It would just be for 3 days to treat the infection.

2. Vestibular

Vestibular Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Quinine / Tonic water
      I know this is a 4 year old post. But this is perhaps the only thread I can find on the internet concerning Mebendazole and tinnitus.

My mother took some Mebendazole as a precaution as she was caring for someone who got parasites who also took it. Immediately after it she developed quite pronounced tinnitus not having had tinnitus beforehand.

She's had it for over a month now. Does anyone have any information on Mebendazole and tinnitus, the mechanism and whether or not it is reversible?

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Pumpkin seeds is a safe (non-ototoxic) and effective treatment for parasites (paralyzes them, allowing them to be purged from GI tract). Many other natural things work as well. My own orientation is to always seek out non-drug alternatives that have extremely low probability of causing or exacerbating tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Vestibular

Vestibular Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Quinine / Tonic water
      Thanks for your reply, the parasites are now not the issue it was given prophylactically, but thank you for your suggestion.

At this point I'm trying to find out how I can fix my mother's tinnitus because she is complaining that it is affecting her terribly and she also has some hearing loss in a certain range too. I'm wondering if anything can be done.

5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Vestibular -- I'm sorry to hear how significantly your mother's tinnitus is affecting her. You may want to check out the following (a thread I created), which I would consider a long-shot, but something that's ultra safe to try. Best to your mother!

Sodium Thiosulfate — "May" Help w/ Hearing Loss and/or Tinnitus

6. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      How long did she take this medication?

7. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Have you contacted manufacturers? They might have an answer.

8. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      Prednisone (or any other steroid) is the only drug capable of reducing tinnitus the first weeks after onset. And it's not 100% guaranteed it'll work anyways.

9. Vestibular

Vestibular Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Quinine / Tonic water
      Would that be oral prednisone and what dose are we talking about? Why only in the first weeks of onset?

10. Vestibular

Vestibular Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Quinine / Tonic water
      It happened on the 2nd time she took it.

11. Vestibular

Vestibular Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Quinine / Tonic water
      Thank you I've forwarded this to her, fingers crossed hopefully something will work, it's really affecting her.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      I'm unaware what's the typical dosage, but if you want to get it right you should say at the ER that you've experienced sudden hearing loss.

If you say you just got tinnitus they won't prescribe anything and them clueless f*cks will only tell you to learn to live with it and give you a useless leaflet from ATA/BTA.

13. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Interesting. I just looked up this medication on seven sites and none of them listed tinnitus even as a rare side effect. Strange.