Negative Pressure in the Ears? Constantly Having to Sniff to Hear — What to Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by James_s91, Mar 6, 2020.

1. James_s91
      Stressed

James_s91 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hi all,

Been a while since I last posted on this forum. Seeking advice or similar experiences on this issue. Sorry if I ramble on, I tend to do that.

I have otosclerosis which caused my hearing to get really bad over about 2 years. I had a stapedectomy on my right ear (it was much worse than my left) and it helped improve my hearing... marginally, but tbh hasn't made much difference. However the most annoying issue I'm dealing with atm feels more like it's something to do with my eustachian tubes/ear drums, pressure in the ears.

I have to constantly sniff up to 'pop' my ears and hear properly. If I don't then my hearing is drastically reduced and everything sounds muffled. I try to pinch my nose and blow occasionally but doing it that way only provides a very temporary relief as my ears generally 'unpop' immediately after I do it. I'm sniffing multiple times an hour, all day every day just to be able to hear and I'm totally sick of it. I am aware that constantly sniffing up to bring relief is likely creating long term problems and causing the issue to be chronic, potentially creating this vicious cycle. But I literally have no other choice if I want to actually hear day to day. For whatever reason the act of sniffing creates some kind of condition within my ears that allows sound to travel through better despite what other negative effects it could be having.

Anyone have similar problems and found anything that can fix this problem? I just want to be able to hear without constantly having to sniff and 'pop' my ears. What's causing this for a start and why will it not go away, does it sound like a negative pressure issue?

An additional issue I'm having by sniffing up to create this 'pop' is that louder sounds and conversations cause everything to sound 'crackly'. It's like something's distorting within my ears. I guess just another symptom of pressure issues or whatever is going on with me. But it makes it a nightmare to attend any social events that involve noise (pubs, busy restaurants etc). It's made me a massive recluse these days.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Research tonic tensor tympani syndrome.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23571302/

”Tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS) is an involuntary, anxiety-based condition where the reflex threshold for tensor tympani muscle activity is reduced, causing a frequent spasm. This can trigger aural symptoms from tympanic membrane tension, middle ear ventilation alterations and trigeminal nerve irritability.”

I have constant popping when swallowing and yawning. When my ear feels full I get a slight distortion crackle. I used to get a patulous Eustachian tube like fullness that would only dissipate when I coughed really hard or something worst case bend over at the waist and put my head between my legs. Personally, I think TTTS is the cause of a lot of issues thrown around on Tinnitus Talk.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      This could be a few different things. When did this start happening?

4. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I’d be interested to hear what else it could be @GregCA. Thanks in advance.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James_s91
      Stressed

James_s91 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Sorry I've been inactive for a while.

Thanks for your input on this Selah. That is indeed interesting although I'm not sure it quite matches my experience. I'll research a bit more on it when I have the time later.

Hi Greg. Been like this maybe a good year now.