Nervana Headphones Get You High on Dopamine aka the Happiness Chemical

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by nills, Jan 22, 2016.

1. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      If you already think music is pleasurable, get ready to feel even better with headphones that stimulate nerves that trigger pleasure producing neurotransmitters such as dopamine, serotonin, and oxytocin.

dnews-files-2016-01-nervana-160114-670-jpg.jpg

American startup Nervana developed a pair of headphones that stimulate the brain to release neurotransmitters responsible for making us feel pleasure and happiness, usually stimulated by physical exercise, drugs, sex, and of course, listening to music, among other activities.

DSC00694.jpg

Nervana headphones can be plugged into the Nervana Generator or any other music player. While listening to a song using the Nervana Headphones, a low-power electric stimulation is added to the listening experience, creating an electrical pulse synchronized to the beat of music, triggering brain reactions that allow dopamine, serotonin and oxytocin to be released. You can also use the Nervana without music by activating the ‘ambient mode’, capable of producing the same effect only with the sounds detected nearby, which would be great for a music festival, for example.

(more info in link)

I wonder if we would have relief during listening?

http://interestingengineering.com/nervana-headphones-get-high-dopamine-aka-happiness-chemical/

2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Dopamine is not a pleasure producing neurotransitter, strictly speaking.
      Increased dopamine production would result in a person being more alert and more responsive to any stimuli, external or internal (internal includes tinnitus).
      Therefore, more dopamine equals more tinnitus awareness.
      That's why most anti-psychotic drugs are usually potent dopamine blockers. They render a person less responsive to his/her environment. That's also why dopamine blockers have been trialed for tinnitus (like Sulpiride and Hydroxyzine) with limited success.

Serotonin, I'm all for it, on the other hand.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lol, I trust some random silicon valley startup to send electricity into my brain like I trust a car mechanic to do heart surgery.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1