Neti Pot = Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Adnansa88, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Adnansa88

Adnansa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neti pot
      hello,

I have been experiencing severe nasal congestion for the past two weeks. So I usually use a neti pot to clear my sinuses, last Sunday so a whole week now, I used the bottle neti pod which works while applying pressure to shoot the water up the nose. My right nostril was completely blocked, so I started pushing water into my left nostril and barely anything came out my left one, maybe just small drops.

Most of the water was draining out of my mouth, and I noticed pressure in my left ear. As soon as I was done, I had a sharp pain in my left ear and it lasted for about an hour.. I applied some heating pads to my ear and the pain passed. The next day I had echos in my left ear, and that went away the next day.

Now I am stuck with what feels like a clogged ear and a low pitch sound in my left ear. It’s been going on for a week now. At first I was not able to pop my left ear by yawning like usually.

It’s really annoying and I am gonna see a doctor Monday to see if they can tell if I got water in my ear.

Anyone experience this with a neti pot? And how long did it last? I hope I didn’t cause damage to my ear.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I'm worried about this! I've had sinus congestion for a while and been using neti pot.

How can neti pot cause or worsen tinnitus? What's the mechanism?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adnansa88

Adnansa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neti pot
      I never had tinnitus before this. It’s after I used the neti pot that this happened. Basically instead of water coming out of my orther nostril if kept coming out of my mouth and then shot into my left ear.

Almost instantly I developed a sharp pain, and after that congestion in the ear and tinnitus. It’s been a week now and the congestion feeling is still present, feels like I need to pop my ear but every time I do nothing happens. I feel constant pressure and ringing.