New and Worried — After Microsuction Now Have Louder Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, Dizziness

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lisa 99, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Lisa 99

Lisa 99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone

I just wanted to ask for some support. I’ve had tinnitus for nearly 40 years and have managed it well. 6 weeks ago I had impacted wax in both ears and had microsuction.

This cleared the wax but in the last 4 weeks my tinnitus has been much louder and I now have hyperacusis and dizziness.

My GP has referred me for an MRI.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has had some similar symptoms and an MRI but for a benign reason. I’m really concerned that this will turn out to be an acoustic neuroma.

Thanks in advance, Lisa

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Hello Lisa!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Did the increase in tinnitus start immediately after micro suction?

Jack

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa 99

Lisa 99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Jack, no about 2 weeks later. I spoke to the person who performed the micro suction and he said he had never encountered this before and didn’t think it was linked to the procedure

Lisa

4. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Please stay away from MRI if possible.
      Many T friends in this forums are damaged & getting worse by its SOUND when in the tube.
      If you have to do it, please wear good earplugs.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      All medical care providers/dentist will lie and say I never encountered this before.

We really need a complete internet manual of safe medical practice awareness for those with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Isn't an MRI made by spinning magnets and rf that echoes at different rates off tissue, fat etc vs bone. If you have metal inside it can be dangerous. I can't understand, if you don't have metal, why it would be any more tinnitus causing than rf from a cell phone or rf from an electric motor.

7. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi @Lisa 99
      I’m so sorry to hear that your Tinnitus has increased due to this haphazard procedure. They will say that’s never happened before!
      Unfortunately my tinnitus increased accompanied by hypercausis. They claim it’s ‘safe’ but I believe if it’s not done properly it can cause this. My friend @Blue28 has gone through the same thing. I hope you feel better soon x

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction
      Please be careful about getting an MRI, try and use one of the Toshiba vantage machines, and Microsuction can easily cause hearing damage, there are serval peer review studies which have found this, it is incredibly unsafe for people with tinnitus but a lot of doctors are just ignorant.

• Agree Agree x 5
    9. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Can you post those studies. I am curious to read them.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Most likely microsuction was what had caused louder tinnitus. If you search this forum, you will see that many people got a spike (that can be temporary or permanent) as a result of microsuction. So the good news is that it is most likely not acoustic neuroma. You might want to search this site to see the posts dealing with the experiences of people who have had an MRI done. Some had developed a spike in their tinnitus. @Ed209 's experiences come to mind... Perhaps there is something you can do to reduce the likelihood that you get another T spike. You might want to get a second opinion regarding the need for you to do an MRI...

11. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Hi @Lisa 99

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I had microsuction to remove ear wax, I didn't have tinnitus but following the microsuction procedure I developed hearing loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis. Obviously the ENT denies all responsibility. This disgusts me. It enrages me that this procedure is still being practised with so little care by certain (so called) medical professionals as it clearly has the capability to cause extensive hearing damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      fuck microsuction. stop it now.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      @Lisa99

Sorry to hear your woes. It is normal to feel a bit dizzy after microsuction but this passes.

Microsuction does not cause acoustic neuroma so stop worrying. Go and get your hearing tested by a reputable audiologist

14. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Not acoustic neuroma but it can cause acoustic shock/trauma. There are many anecdotes of this happening to people (including myself), but of course the ENTs and audiologists who perform this procedure will deny it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa 99

Lisa 99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Blue28 @dingaling @Bill Bauer @JohnAdams thank you all for taking the time to respond. I’m trying hard to stay calm and not let this situation get to me. I’m still waiting for my urgent MRI. I have a hearing test booked for this week so will see what this shows l. I know my tinnitus has definitely changed in loudness since the microsuctioning and I have Hyperacusis which I did not have before. It’s the dizziness that’s worrying me and th hardest symptom to live with. I would never have this procedure again and so wish I had done more research prior to it. This forum has really helped me though, so thank you all. Sorry if I’ve not mentioned you all

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Alibongo

Alibongo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction
      Hi
      My daughter had microsuction done on both her ears a couple of years ago when she was 15. All she had was a lot of ear wax, no other symptoms at all or problems with her ears. From the minute she had the microsuction done which was agonising she felt very distressed telling me something was very wrong with the sounds she was hearing. She has suffered repeated bilateral ear infections and debilitating and agonising hyperacusis. It has ruined her young life. The ENT doctors refuse to accept her symptoms have anything to do with their procedure.
      We would dearly love to find people who have hyperacusis as a result of microsuction. As something needs to be done.
      If anyone has any knowledge of medications that will help with the pain in her ears please let me know.
      I’m so sorry this has happened to you as well.
      Ali

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      Microsuction should be outlawed.

• Agree Agree x 2