New Guy, Fresh with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JazzManCaz, Jul 23, 2018.

1. JazzManCaz

JazzManCaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Hi - I'm 44 years old - real name is Kasper.
      My story is..

I have been playing saxophone for the last 20 something years. I also have a military background as a truck mechanic, so loud noises has always been something in my life.

First time I experienced tinnitus was when a firecracker exploded in my hand (was 23 years old) i was about to throw it when it exploded in my hand, and right next to my ear. Got tinnitus in my right ear. The tinnitus back then stayed with me for a few years, comming and going from time to time. Years back it suddenly stopped.

Next time when i got T was when i began practicising in a vocalbox. My lifelong wish was being able to practice music (the saxophone) whenever i wanted to without bothering anyone. I therfore build an isolated box, which just had enough room for me to sit in. I did so for a half year or so, when a morning i discovered a loud hissing noise. I didn't think i was playing to loud - but when i used a Db meter i measured 110 db. I thought my T was temporary - maybe going away within a day or perhaps a week. But when it contiued, i began to panic - worst part was not living with T, but not being able to play music anymore.

My T, as i best can describe it, sounds like white noise on some days and other days like the 10-12khz tone you'd hear from old televisions when you shut it off.

lately my tinnitus has gotten better - Sometimes i don't notice it and sometimes it's loud enough to be heard through everyday conversations.

It seems like some frequencies trigger my tinnitus - like playing above a certain range (c4) on the piano. Using earprotection (both over ear and in-ear at the same time) does little to not trigger a tinnitus when playing the saxophone. Whenever my T gets triggered, it always comes back as white noise - but gradually turns into the 10-12khz sound you'd hear on old tvs.

I'd like to think i'm recovering, but at this time i honestly don't know if i am able to play saxophone anymore.

We'll see..

Thx for reading /Kasper

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi... Welcome...
      Based on your info, it is to your best interest by not aggravating your ears
      including playing saxophone.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @JazzManCaz ,
      It is hard when you love playing an instrument and have tinnitus as our dear @Jazzer can tell you.
      love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Caz

To cut a long story short, I’ve been a pro jazzer for 55 years, from age 20 to age 75.
      I’ve played all over the world at festivals, clubs, on cruise ships etc...but decided to pack up just two months ago.
      I do not want to risk louder Tinnitus.
      My advice would be to pack it in.
      I have done that even though it has finished my career.
      Whatever you do, do not use that isolation box.
      Will talk again but must get to bed. 1:00am here.
      You might want to look at
      Jazzer’s Videos, on here.
      Jazzer
      Dave x

• Like Like x 4
    5. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Hang in there man. Sounds like yours may be even improving already? Keep up the hope that it will fade!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      soundwaves, transformers, vibrations, sirens, decibels, life
      Don't know anything about saxophones but is there a satisfactory way of playing one with a mute? I'm sure it would sound different, maybe respond differently, but maybe you could still enjoy it at least without damaging your ears further or as much. Chances are you've already done the mute thing...

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JazzManCaz

JazzManCaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Not really - Sax-mutes doesen't really work and especially the lower register on the instruments suffers greatly when trying to mute the sax.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JazzManCaz

JazzManCaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Tough man - sad to hear it - hope you had a good run at least. I may pack the saxes up - but i'm not ready to give up music yet - May have to learn a new instrument tho - Shouldn't be to difficult, language would still be the same :)

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JazzManCaz

JazzManCaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Also thanks to the rest of you - I'm taking it slow and testing my T to see how it reacts to different form of exposures - like different kinds of sounds, Alchohol, sleep (or lack thereoff), excersise and diet while carefully jotting the stuff down. Also trying out different forms of treatment like chiropractors, white noise therapy, excercises and stuff - all which had zero impact on my T.

But i'll keep experimenting.

• Like Like x 2
    10. JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      You may have to choose, as much as it sucks. At first I was determined to continue enjoying my triggers and just accept the T. Then I slowly began to realize that nothing was worth having to hear those demonic sounds all day. Since giving up loud music, concerts, weed, caffeine, alcohol, and sugar, my T is almost non-existant. It may seem like there is nothing left to enjoy, until I learned to enjoy the peace more than anything. Everyone is different, but this is how important it is to me. Hope you don't have to give up the sax but maybe one day you will find a similar bliss that does not trigger the noise.

• Agree Agree x 1