New Here and Glad to Not Be Alone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Noa, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Noa

Noa Member

Hi everyone,

I'm Noa. I'm a teenager who hasn't had a lot of exposure to prolonged loud noises, but I do have tinnitus (I think). I don't have an official diagnosis, but I saw an ENT for the ringing in my ears and he thought a nightguard would help because I grind my teeth at night. I've been wearing the nightguard every night since I got it a few months ago and have seen no improvement. I actually think that it may have gotten worse. I keep hearing a high pitched static-y noise, like the sound of an old TV turning on. It's constant and I haven't gotten any relief. It gets worse when I am by electronics, especially those that are plugged in. I can actually hear the electricity flowing from the wall socket to my phone charger, and the noise the electricity makes changes depending on what charger I use. It's very irritating and is constant, I can't get any break from it! The only time I didn't hear it was when I took a hearing test at the ENT in a soundless room.

What's going is annoying, to say the least, but I'm glad I'm not alone in my struggle!

2. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Haha, yeah I've never had a problem with this until T/H/Ph issues.
      I have a cell phone charger I can't used on devices that are powered like my cell phone. I can use the same charger on my bluetooth keyboard if the keyboard is off. But if the keyboard is on, or i plug my cell phone in(which turns it on), the charger emits a nasty high pitch.
      I've used that charger plenty before. Of course no one else can hear this but me. I've always been able to hear the high pitch noise coming from old tvs, but my experience with hyperacusis and phantom sounds has made me able to hear even higher stuff now(the charger does sound higher in pitch and thinner).