New Here, Scared

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by HSL80, May 9, 2018.

1. HSL80

HSL80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had a high pitched ringing in my right ear for about 2 months with a sensation of clogging and muffled hearing on the same side. I have to wait a whole month for my ENT appt and I'm freaking out. Everything I have read tells me to see a doctor immediately and it could be anything from partial hearing loss to a tumor. I'm only 37 and I have two young children. I'm scared and need support. Maybe just talking to others with these same problems will help me get through till my appt. Thank you for reading.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Stop fretting.
      It's unlikely to be a tumour - these are very rare. Are you able to pop your ears? If so, does this relieve the clogging and muffled hearing?

3. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      That whAt Tinnitus Do to you , feel afraid. When I was at that stage , had to take medication to calm me down. Can you see your PC doctor. You need something to help with your emotions. Don’t think is a tumor. Feel better, go on YouTube and watch some videos also , that also help me.

• Like Like x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Have you not seen any doctor at all since you've felt muffled hearing?

If you have sudden hearing loss you do need to see a doctor immediately: if you can't get to your ENT on time, go to urgent care or ER. Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss is considered a medical emergency.

It would be unlikely to be an acoustic neuroma, but it would probably be a good idea to rule it out (with an MRI), if just for peace of mind.

Again, if you do have symptoms of sudden hearing loss, don't "talk to others to help you get through till your appointment" - you have no time to waste.

Good luck!

5. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      @HSL80 I am also 37 with two children. How did your T come about?

6. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Stay calm and don't freak out . The tumor stuff is very very rare and not worth worrying about at this time. I would try to remain as calm as possible right now as stress if just going to potentially aggravate your T.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HSL80

HSL80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the replies. I can pop my left ear, but not the right. The ringing is loudest in the morning when I'm the only person awake and there's no background noise. After reading some threads on this forum, I'm already feeling a bit more relieved. I have experienced loud crashing sounds when im trying to fall asleep. Like a door slamming or glass breaking, and the other night I heard my cat meow, when I went to investigate, she was sleeping. So I wonder if I hallucinated hearing her meow. that was actually scary. I would love to ask for some Xanax or something to take away the anxiety...even just short term, but Dr.s look at you like your a pill addict when you ask for such things. It's very frustrating. I've just been trying to take my mind off it and stay busy. It's going to be a long month.

8. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I experience loud sounds in my sleep also...it's called explosive tinnitus and is harmless.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HSL80

HSL80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I saw my family doctor on Friday and she said she didn't see any blockage or anything. That's why they referred me to ENT.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HSL80

HSL80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just noticed it one day while sitting quietly. I assumed it would go away. I've had bouts of tinnitus before that is usually brief. This hasn't gone away, and just got louder over time, the muffled hearing just started about two weeks ago

11. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Sudden SensoriNeural Hearing Loss is not visible to the naked eye (or with an otoscope for that matter). Generally you are referred to an ENT indeed, but if it takes too long (as it is in your case), you risk compromising the chances you have at a recovery. I'm afraid you are already quite late in the process, but if I were in your shoes I would urgently see someone who can determine if you have SSNHL, and if so, suggest a treatment (it is generally steroids, either oral or intratympanic).