New Here. Scared.

Discussion in 'Support' started by eldudebro, Aug 9, 2014.

1. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      Hi Everyone.

I'm now on 9th day of having a screeching tone in my left ear and i'm not coping well. This just developed out of nowhere when I went to bed and whilst trying to drift off I became aware of the noise in my ear. The last 9 days have been horrendous, full of anxiety and panic attacks and i'm not holding it together well. I feel it's never going to get any better and i'm going to end up a drugged up sedated shell just to get through the day.

How can you cope with this? At this moment I can see no way how it's possible.

2. theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and/or Ear Infeciton
      Do you know the cause of your tinnitus? Sometimes it can be reversible, ie ear infections.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do not. My best guess would be noise related due to clubbing/mp3 exposure since I became an adult. I'm 33 now.

4. theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and/or Ear Infeciton
      The best thing to do would be to get your hearing tested and visit a doctor or ENT if you can.

Try not to fret, the first few weeks of tinnitus are the worse. I'm only 19 and I have it 3 months now and I'm a lot better than I was when I first got it. I'm still very upset over it but I'm learning to deal with it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been to the doctor and been referred to an ENT. All i can do is hope. Tonight it's the loudest it's ever been, I can't escape it. Trying not to fret but yeah, it's really not easy.

6. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      You are still in the very early stages, eld. On its own, it may come down, in a short time. Whether you ever find the culprit, you still should know to be overly cautious regarding subjecting yourself to high noise levels. There's lots of ways noise comes to us, including the previews at a movie theater. But, overall, the major reason for it in this day is music, either at live performances or listening to your MP3 player.

Take a break from whatever noise you might have been giving yourself to. Try to be patient, and relax. Tinnitus CANNOT and WILL NOT kill you. It is merely a sound that is not life threatening. How you react to it is what causes all the additional problems: panic, anxiety, dreadful thoughts.

Learn to lay aside those unprofitable thoughts. What may help is for you to begin to listen to sounds that mimic what you hear. Maybe crickets. If so, download a recording of them, but NEVER listen to them above the sound of the ringing in your head/ears. Always have the volume lower than the T. This is just to give you a bit of what is known as mitigation or a break from listening to your own head that will help you to focus on a sound outside of yourself. I used to have crickets playing in my house anytime I was home.

Keep in mind to never play anything (nature sounds or whatever) above the volume of the T. That is known as masking. You want mitigation only.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    7. Raindance74
      Yeehaw

Raindance74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Try masking the ringing with white noise from an earbud. Make sure you keep the volume down so you dont aggravate your ear too much.

8. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Eldudebro---When my first experience came on, It was SOOOOOO loud and scary for me. I was anxious, panicked and could not sleep.

Honestly, it gets so much better and manageable. Take some medications prescribed by your doctor if you need them. They will help you. Read some posts that offers suggestions for help.

This is such an awesome forum to for support.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Relax. Things will get better. Either a new tinnitus will disappear, fade or you will get used to it over time. I used to think I will never be able to get used to my ultra high pitched scream in my ears 7/24 and also severe hyperacusis which turned every normal sound glassy in quality and appeared piercingly hurtful to the ears. I used to have relentless anxiety & panic attacks on auto mode with my T & H. I thought I would never be able to accept or cope with such sufferings. But never say never. Today I am back to normal and living a full and enjoyable life. So don't panic.

Read up all the success stories on this site in the Success Story Forum. These stories will give you hope and you can learn some insights how to get better. Also go the Doctor's Corner to ask some questions. Dr. Hubbards himself suffered from severe T before. So he understands your pain. He also wrote his success story. Here is the link:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/how-cbt-helped-me-live-again-dr-hubbards-story.4608/

Here is my own story:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...how-i-recover-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hang in there!this forum is the best place to be..lots of help here from people in the same boat. It will not kill you , try to calm down.
      Get some medication from your doctor to help you cope, with time , it gets better! Take care all the best!