New Member. "Thrilled" to Be Here!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Michael De Asha, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Michael De Asha
      Scared

Michael De Asha Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello! So I tried to stay away for as long as I could.

It's been 5 months since my T started, it's been a struggle I must admit! In the 6 months previous to that I had a cancer scare that caused me no end of stress and on the night of celebrating the fact I didn't have cancer, I got T. Just my luck ay?

Since then it's waxed and wayned. But seems to have found it's average at what I would class as "constantly annoyingly noticeable". The only thing that masks it is running water.

The usual from an ENT. Stay away from loud things, pray it goes away and if not, tough luck, deal with it! Blergh is all I have to say to that.

Anyway, enough about the actual T. I'm 21 years old and in these 5 months I've seen my relationship of over two years with my now ex girlfriend fall apart and I've lost a fair few friends.

I've also dropped out of university for this year (third year history student of anyone's interested) because the stress of it is too much. That and the fact I can't concentrate on reading books.

I'll be honest, I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do. Sometimes I can't help but feel that my enjoyment in life is over.

I can deal with the noise, what's scary for me is that it will probably continue to worsen if I don't shut myself away. I feel very isolated as it is. I don't really go out because I have nowhere to be and a bit of fear of it worsening. I'm scared of that becoming a necessity.

I miss being able to sleep on my side (sleep in general really) and read books.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, just something different to the people around me who tell me that I just need to get on with it.

This was probably way too long as an intro. Apologies. Thanks for reading anway!

Michael

2. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Michael, glad/sad to see you here. Your post was was not to long at all, and you got to the point. Everyone here Can relate to you're suffering, depression, fear, anxiety. When T first strikes it brings out all of these emotions. They will over time subside. once you have a look around the different forums here you will see many stories that parallel you're own experiences.

I had to have two surgeries for cancer. Thank God that you did not have it. You will get through T

There have been many who have lost lovers, friends, spouses etc. because the way a person first reacts to T especially at such a young age. These feeling are quite normal. Some people just don't get it and that can cause you to get even more stressed out.

Have a look around, the support forum is a great place to start.

Remember, now that you are here you are never alone in this. As I like to say We Are Open 24/7/365

• Like Like x 2
    3. Sharpfire
      No Mood

Sharpfire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm also in my third year of university and I feel for you man, it really isn't the best timing. There really should be more awareness for this type of thing around campuses etc, even putting a sound warning at nightclubs would be a good idea.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey micheal glad you joined!!, I'm a college senior and had to withdraw, couldn't concentrate reading/studying because of how bad my T got, I even had to leave my job that I love as a substitute preschool teacher because the sounds of children screaming hurt my ears (hypercausis). If you don't have H yet please protect your ears because sometimes when T gets louder it causes H which makes loud sounds hurt and its honestly worst then just T alone. And I mean protect as in if you decide to go to any loud event(concert, club, party, etc) then wear ear plugs. The best thing for you right now is to keep it from getting worse, but u should still live your life, don't let it stop you from doing the things you love!!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      AT least your ENT told you to stay away from 'loud things' My American ENT educated in the dominican republic, resort fun, didn't tell me about anything. @Michael De Asha @stacey life is on hold for you. You are young no big hurry to finish. My child took 8 years to get a 4 year degree. Seriously you will get used to the T and since you are very young you might see a treatment or cure. I can tell you from experience it takes me 12-18 months to habituate and I use medications to deal with the T.
      God bless and hang in.

• Like Like x 1
    6. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Michael when I said "These feeling are quite normal" I was talking about you, I meant to say these feelings you have...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael De Asha
      Scared

Michael De Asha Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @stacey @Ken219 @gary @Sharpfire
      Thanks for the replies guys, due to a lack of internet I haven't been able to get back in touch to say thank you more quickly.

• Like Like x 1
    8. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I read your post and I can sympathize. For the first couple months I could barely get myself to work and home. I dont think I could handle studying either if I had to do it right now. I now also mostly stay at home, except to go to work. I'm on meds just to cope. Sleep is something that I dont get much of anymore. All we can do is try to keep going and hope that life gets better.
      My T also came about because of 6 months of stress. We are in the same boat. If you get a chance read some posts of I who love music and his success story. If yours is stress related like mine, then I think you can get better. I've been trying to show emotions which are the opposite of stress and anxiety and meditate showing emotions of anger and determination to rid myself of this with some success. I know it sounds crazy but changing my mental attitude toward this thing has helped me to have some good T days where I can barely notice it. I know anxiety and fear will trigger it easily and keep it going. I've been there and done that. Lack of sleep triggers it also. If you have been living with it for 5 months and have nothing to lose, meditate as I mention for 30 minutes tonight and see how you feel the next day. If that doesnt work, try having a day where you show no emotion to the T and then meditate that night. If I can do this successfully I can usually have low T days the day after. If you hearing is good, then I think a recovery is possible.
      My theory on this whole thing is that stress causes low serotonin levels and you dont just bounce back from that. It takes time and I think the low serotonin levels can cause T. It takes time of your body being at peace with itself to recover the serotonin which is not the easiest thing to do with T. T causes the same stress and anxiety and fear that created it in the first place so getting better is difficult.
      Try it and see how it goes. I've been experimenting for 4 months now and this is the best I can come up with.

9. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Michael, a thanks is really not necessary, but you are quite welcome. Try and spend as much time as you can reading other posts, you will find them most helpful. Keep us posted when you can my friend...

• Like Like x 1