Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by John N., Feb 15, 2016.

1. John N.
      Angry

John N. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I woke up one morning in March of 2015 to find that I suddenly had pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear. I'd always had a very low level of tinnitus in both ears which I hardly ever noticed, but this was something completely different. It's not a"whooshing" sound that I've seen describe by many pulsatile T forum members, it's more like a bell that rings at each heartbeat.

Initial doc visit found nothing besides a normal amount of wax. Went back 2 months later, as one morning I woke up and it was markedly louder than the day before. All in all I've had these volume jumps 3 times over the past 11 months.

Doc sent me for an MRI with internal auditory canal detail, and it came back normal. I then went to a Tinnitus clinic at a major medical university near where I live, and all they could really offer me after checking me out were in-ear tinnitus treatment devices.

I've had some neck issues over the years, mostly due to stress and working at a computer all day. I feel like this may be related to my neck, because turning my head all the way to my left makes the T in my left ear 4-5 times louder and constant. I would love to just go to a chiropractor to have an upper cervical adjustment and have this disappear, but from what I've read on some of this forum, there is a slim chance of getting relief from a chiro.

Open to any and all suggestions, as this is driving me crazy.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. If your T is somatic in nature and you can pin down the cause being the neck muscle, then it is worth the while to get a chiro to work on the neck. There are chiros who advertise such neck manipulation for relieving tinnitus. Have you done any masking or take any supplements to help with your T?

• Like Like x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, John,

I agree with Billie, that possibly a visit to a chiropractor might be worthwhile, to see if he/she might be able to help you with your neck issues, and maybe your tinnitus.

Also, I was wondering if anything had changed recently regarding medicines you are taking, or illnesses you've recently had, etc. Sometimes if our ears are already sensitive from tinnitus, that change might be enough to set off the pulsating you describe.

I have pulsating tinnitus in my right ear, and mine started right after taking a blood pressure drug for the first time.

Good luck, and we'd like to hear what happens if you do decide to go to a chiropractor.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John N.
      Angry

John N. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Billie and Karen, thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

Billie, I have tried some masking and it seemed to actually heighten it for 20-30 minutes afterwards so I stopped. I was using a few apps on my phone that the Tinnitus Clinic had recommended. Regarding supplements, I have not tried any but will certainly look in to it. The chiro will probably be my next step, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Karen, I'm glad you mentioned medicine, as I completely forgot to put that in my post. I started taking generic Wellbutrin in April of 2014. When this started suddenly in March of 2015, one of the first things I did was research if there was any ties to Wellbutrin and T. Of course, on the internet you can find that anything can cause anything, so I found sites saying yes, it can cause T., and also that it couldn't. I discussed this with my doctor, and we tried a few things. We first tried going to name brand Wellbutrin for a month, and it made no difference. We then decreased the dosage to half of what I was taking, and it also made no difference. I completely stopped the medicine in July of 2015, and it is still the same or actually worse, as I've had a few "volume bumps" since then.

Karen, is your T a pulsatile ringing or is it a "whooshing" type sound?

Thank both of you for your replies.

John

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      John, if you haven't, you may want to try natural supplements to see if they will help your T. Members here often recommend some supplements, such as NAC, Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3, etc., and try to reduce intake of salt, sugar, MSG, caffeine, alcohol etc. Don't know if you have issue with sleeping with T. Sleep deprivation is one sure way to fire up T. Instead of sleep meds from the doctor, you can try natural alternatives such as Camomile tea, Hops, Valerian tablets, St John Wort, Melatonin etc. Check out this site on using natural herbs for sleep problem:

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...alth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia/

If your T seems louder with masking, perhaps tune down the masking sounds a bit. There may be some trace of hyperacusis in your case. Usually people say their T is reactive to sounds. In actuality, there may be issue with hyperacusis. I had severe hyperacusis after having T. So I know the beast. It seems to react with normal sounds and make T louder. But my H faded within a year. So don't worry about it. If you like some masking options with more pleasant nature sounds, here are some suggestions. Remember to tune down the volume. God bless.

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/
      or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html
      or make your own rain sound: http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/rainNoiseGenerator.php
      or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

And if you need DIY notched Acoustic Coordinated Reset Neuromodulation (ACRN):
      (please be careful and research the pro and con on ACRN before proceeding with caution)
      http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/acoustic-cr-neuromodulation
      http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John N.
      Angry

John N. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Billie, thank you for all of the links and information, it really is appreciated. I look forward to trying the supplements and masking apps to try and get some relief. This is excellent info!

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @John N. ,

It is possible that the drug might have played some role in your tinnitus; it's hard to say, because each of us is different, and respond to drugs in different ways. As for me, I am very sensitive to medicine, so I am fairly sure that the blood pressure drug is what caused mine.

I already had mild tinnitus in my right ear before the blood pressure drug, so what I have now is a high-pitched steady hissing tone, along with a drumbeat-type pulsating. (I've never thought that mine sounded like whooshing!)
      You described yours as a ringing-pulsating sound; I wonder if you have a combination of ringing and pulsating, like I have (?)

I've had this for five years now, and had many tests. Nothing has been found so far, so I have just been living with it. For me, magnesium and NAC have been the most helpful natural supplements. That, and distraction, are just about the only things that work for me.

Good luck, and I hope your chiro is able to help!

Best wishes,
      Karen

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John N.
      Angry

John N. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Karen,

I do have a combination of ringing and pulsating as you do. It's a low level ringing that is always there, that gets louder with each heartbeat. Would you mind if I asked how much of the NAC and magnesium you take?

Thank you for your reply.

John

9. robinbird
      Fine

robinbird Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitch hearing loss, both ears, right is worse
      Sometimes I get so angry at how many negatives I read in this site. I have been dealing with PT since February 2015. It was an angry beast when it first appeared, and for no apparent reason that I can pinpoint. But over the year it has changed into several different animals, so to speak. I just made an appointment to consult with a chiropractor because, I would not be surprised if something is going on with my neck and or spine, back. I have gone the route of two ENTs, MRI and CT scans. It is worth a shot as far as I am concerned. Head, neck and back/spine have been abused all of my life, as I was a professional graphic artist since I was 19. Leaned over light tables year after year, before computer tech. Then onto digital. I fell on stones years ago and never went to a Dr. Banged the heck out of it working retail for 7 years. Etc......I say, follow your heart, and instincts. I am. Maybe I will get results, or not. But, I have insurance my husband works hard for so I am going to use it. Good luck!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John N.
      Angry

John N. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just a quick update. It's been a few months since I last posted, and my T. bumped up in volume a few weeks ago. I did try going to a chiropractor, which made sense to me b/c it gets louder when I turn my head all the way to the left. Went for 5 treatments over 2 weeks, and while my neck has never felt better, made no difference at all for the tinnitus. The chiropractor suggested I try acupuncture next, and if I do go for treatments, I'll post the results here. Take care everyone.

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @John N.
      Sorry to hear it did not work for you but don't give up hope...love with tinnitus does improve....lots of love glynis