Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by John Brizdle, Sep 8, 2018.

1. John Brizdle

John Brizdle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I am 70 years old and live in Hawaii. My tinnitus is a clear tone in both ears at about 4600 Hz. It is getting worse over the last two years. My ENT says he has nothing for me. I have started searching on the internet for solutions (I tried the Tonaki Protocol and got zero relief - great smoothies).

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has made progress in reducing the noise.

Mahalo...

• Like Like x 1
    2. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Hi John, and welcome.

Some people claim to have experienced success when taking certain herbs, drugs, foods, etc., but the experts that I've gone (an ENT in NYC with tinnitus and a therapist who also has it), say that there's nothing currently available that works to reduce or eliminate tinnitus. The Summer 2018 issue Tinnitus Today magazine (available now online for free), is devoted to the subject of medications, and discusses the placebo effect. If there was a cure available, I think we'd all know about it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Alooooha! Welcome to the forum. I have lived in Hawaii for 6 years. It is a lovely place. When I visited HI last time I walked along the Oahu North Shore beaches every morning as we stayed in a beach rental. Nice way to have a natural masker from the crashing waves. Lol. Seriously, tinnitus can come from various causes. Those with definite problems like the somatic types of tinnitus or those caused by ear infection or ETD, they can be dealt with and once the root cause is fixed, tinnitus tend to fade or disappear. If tinnitus comes from unknown non-somatic cause, then we need to focus on managing tinnitus while searching for a cure. Managing T well and staying more positive and relax will help out in the long run. Stress and anxiety plus other extremely negative reactions can aggravate T or create spikes. Accepting the new normal, using some masking sounds to help soothe out the spikes, using techniques such as CBT, TRT, mindfulness etc. will help us manage or reduce T for some folks. Take good care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Like Like x 1
    5. onjig

onjig Member

Tinnitus Since: