New Noise Is Freaking Me Out, Any Thoughts What It Could Be?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chris Holland, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Hi Guys,

I'm relatively new to the forum and to tinnitus, although I had bouts of tinnitus on and off for as long as I can remember it was always fleeting and usually gone within a short period of time.

However as of 2 months ago I was struck by persistent tinnitus, high pitched (6khz) starting in my left ear and levelled out in my right ear as well. Had everything checked by ENT, did an MRI, nothing was found.
      I have been diagnosed with having a burnout however and am having a lot of anxiety over my tinnitus.
      Currently using Temazepam for sleep and Xanax for during the day but the Xanax makes me feel like a zombie which is not really doing much for my already increasing feeling of depression, Temazepam is great though, even makes me stop obsessing over the T and in turn makes the perception less loud.

As I was puddling along these last weeks since 2 or 3 days I started to notice a new sound in my left ear/on my left side. The sound is very faint and sounds like a plane flying way in the distance or even a bit similar to some air circulation system running in the distance. The sound is constant and not pulsatile. I must mention that I recently had a cold which I got from my beautiful 15 month old son, perhaps this is the cause?

Just as I was kind of coming to terms with my high pitched ring this really threw me off and pushed me back quite a bit as I am now obsessing over this sound and am back to fight or flight mode, really unpleasant ...
      Luckily the Temazepam helps me to cool my nerves somewhat and helps me with sleep.

Does anyone have experience with something similar like this?

Warm regards,

Chris

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Chris,
      Tinnitus seams to have a mind of it's own at times and can change sound and strength for no reason.
      Try not to take notice of your sound or search for it and try do what you can to stay calm and relaxed and off load stress.
      Viruses can spike tinnitus and we just have to let it run its course and in time it will settle down.
      Try steam inhalation to help clear unwanted mucous out of your tubes.
      Hope you have a relaxing evening .
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It's likely to be the effects of the cold which can cause a little fluid to get into the middle ear via the Euastachian tube. My wife gets like a tumble drier sound when she has a cold. I get a kinda monks chanting sound when I'm blocked.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      @Tweaker Thanks for replying!

I could compare the sound to that of a tumble dryer as well, already mistook it twice for the actual tumble dryer running in the background haha.

How long does it usually take for you guys to clear up and is there something I can do?

Best,

Chris

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      @glynis Thank you for your kind advice!

I'll try steaming, hopefully it will clear a bit.
      I'm doing my best not to take notice but I'm still quite shocked by it all :(

Hope you have a nice evening as well!

Warm regards,

Chris

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It can take a while for fluid to drain from the middle ear. It should clear by itself over a few days/weeks but a GP told me exercise can help.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      @Tweaker

Sure hope that will be the case, just have to sit tight and ride it out I guess.
      Thanks for your insights, really appreciate it!