New Reactive Whistling Tinnitus Sound — Will It Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MikeO123, May 22, 2019.

1. MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey everyone. I've had tinnitus for about a year now. I'm not sure how it started. I listen to music loud, work in a school with a bunch of screaming kids and have TMJ disorder so I guess any one of those could be a cause.

Up until last month I habituated to my tinnitus and got pretty lazy about protecting my ears because I pretty much forgot about my tinnitus.

In April I went to a wedding which was really loud and a week later I went on a school trip which was also very loud. Because of this my tinnitus spiked.

The hissing sound got more noticeable and higher pitched. Since then I would say I'm becoming more used to it and can deal with the hissing.

A few days ago a new whistling sound started. The hissing is still there along with this new sound. I'm worried that this new sound might stay and that even more sounds might start.

I'd love to know what you all think. Thank you for your help.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Just wanted to give an update on the situation. I've been trying to be careful and today I went to a restaurant. I had my earplugs ready to put in in case it was loud in the restaurant.

When I opened the door it made the loudest screech I ever heard and hurt. Now the whistling sound is louder and isn't stopping.

This happened 2 hours ago so I know it's early but it's really making me think it caused permanent damage and permanent change in my tinnitus. This whistling sound is driving me crazy.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've had tinnitus for about a year and it's always been a hissing. The hissing is still there but a few days ago a new whistling tone has started. In late April I was exposed to very loud noises from a wedding and a school trip.

I noticed that this new tone almost sounds external and it's much louder when there is sound, for example from a fan, refrigerator etc.

I'm worried that this is permanent and am hoping it'll go away. It's much more bothersome than the hissing tone.

Thank you for your help.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey Everyone. I'm really in a rough place right now and don't know what to do.

I've had tinnitus for about a year. It was always a hissing sound. In late April I went to a wedding and a school trip (I work in a school) which were very loud.

About 5 days ago a new tone started. It's kind of like a whistling, tea pot like sound. But it has a vibrating quality to it. It's hard to explain. It is reactive and increasing with the sounds around me. I'm really worried this new tone is permanent and I'm panicking over it as it's very hard to deal with. The hissing sound is still there as well.

I've been to an ENT and an audiologist who essentially said there was nothing they can do and I feel so stuck. What should my next step be? What should I do to give myself the best chance of getting through this? What are the odds of this new sound fading?

BTW I also have TMJ disorder. I don't know if it's contributing to my tinnitus. What's odd is I told the ENT I had it and she didn't seem to acknowledge the possibility that the TMJ might be contributing.

Thank you for your help.

-Mike

5. annV
      Fine

annV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      @MikeO123 there's not much you can do. Your doctor and audiologist were right. You have to learn to ignore the sounds. :(

Keep an eye on the Lenire device from Neuromod... it can help!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This could be a temporary spike due to your recent noise exposures. I had a spike that lasted for a few months after my nephew screamed in my ear and another one after going to a very loud cinema screening that lasted a month. I think often when we get spikes we freak out emotionally and that makes the spike louder too. Best thing to do is probably to stay as chilled as possible, give a good few months at least and hope it calms down.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'll keep my eye on it. It looks promising.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That's good to hear that it might be temporary. I really hope so. When you get spikes do you get new sounds as well or would it just get louder?

9. Contrast

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      injury from noxious noise
      no guarantees, you already mentioned Noise induced hearing loss (loud music exposure) and TMJ and those are the two most stereotypical causes. Also take note TMJ can be a misdiagnosis as hearing damage can cause facial nerve irritation like I have.

10. Contrast

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So do you experience noise induced pain often? Do noises sound abnormally loud?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Noises do seem really loud but I wouldn't say they're painful. Just more annoying than actually painful.

12. Contrast

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

It's called hyperacusis where noises sound louder then normal.

Also, Did your TMJ begin around the same time as your tinnitus/hyperacusis?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Do you think anxiety over the loud noises could be causing them to seem louder? Since I'm trying to avoid them. TMJ symptoms did start around the same time I noticed my tinnitus. Around a year ago. When I eat my jaw makes loud popping and crunching noises. The sensitivity to sounds didn't start until the recent acoustic trauma that caused my tinnitus to spike and the new tone.

14. Contrast

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No it's not anxiety, research suggest it's a neurological condition related to hearing loss

https://www.entandaudiologynews.com...iological-mechanisms-of-hyperacusis-an-update
      -
      Loudness hyperacusis, where moderately intense sounds are judged to be excessively loud, is the best characterised form of the disorder. Evidence points to excessive central gain enhancement as a major mechanism underlying loudness hyperacusis. In order to maintain sensitivity across an enormous range of intensities, central auditory neurons adapt their responsiveness, or ‘gain’, with changes to auditory input. If these gain control mechanisms are dysregulated, hearing loss can cause a maladaptive over-amplification of peripheral input, resulting in higher spontaneous and/or stimulus-evoked neural activity, which may present as tinnitus and/or hyperacusis, respectively (see Figure 2).

15. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think I got a new up and down sound in my right ear after my nephew was screaming. That was what went away after a few months

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks for sending me info about it. Is hyperacusis something that could fade along with a tinnitus spike?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah mine's like an up and down whistling sound

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Contrast I was wondering what's the best thing for me to do as far as protecting my ears at this point and give them the best chance of healing and helping my hyperacusis? I definitely don't wanna make it worse.

19. Nathan McAlum
      Stressed

Nathan McAlum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have something very similar, whenever my fan is on I hear a high pitch whistle like sound fluttering with the fan noise. This also occurs with wind, rain, high pitch noise from the TV, and just about any sound that used to mask tinnitus.

It's like my tinnitus is creating noise over real sound and this specific tone only ever goes away when no white noise is present. It's been going on for a few days now.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It took a couple weeks for me but it died down and now I don't even hear it. I just hear my tinnitus the way it was. I would give it some time and I'm sure it will get better for you.

21. Nathan McAlum
      Stressed

Nathan McAlum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well that's comforting, thank you!