New Ringing... Need Advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by johndoejohndoes, Apr 29, 2017.

1. johndoejohndoes

johndoejohndoes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi -

I'm 27 years old (in good health) and for the first time last month I had something weird happen to me. I was sitting in a meeting at work and all of a sudden (for about 5 seconds) I had this ringing in my ear that felt like it started in one ear and moved to the next. It felt like something from a war movie when an explosion goes off near the camera and there's that ringing sound effect with deafness that follows. I even felt deaf and nauseous for a second because I had no idea what was happening.

Fast forward a month and it randomly happened again. I went to the Neorologist this week because I also had some headaches (I never get headaches) and he reccomended an MRI and a visit to the ENT.

I've had very random/minimal situations where this ringing occurs and it never happens for more than 5 seconds...until yesterday.

When I'm in a completely quiet environment or I'm about to go to bed at night I hear the slightest high frequency ringing in my ears. Constantly. It's mostly in my right ear but sometimes both.

On a scale of 1-10 I'd say it's a 1 and I really have to pay attention to notice it, but it's still really annoying.

Any ideas on what I should discuss with the ENT and if this is going to stay like this forever? It feels like it came on so quickly out of nowhere and now I'm concerned I'll have life long effects. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @johndoejohndoes
      Do you listen to music regularly through headphones or attend places where loud music is played?
      I advise you to try and stop listening out for the slight noise that you hear, as it could become louder and start to be a problem if you're not careful. Try to play low level music by your bedside or buy a sound machine that plays nature sounds.
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      johndoejohndoes

johndoejohndoes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I listen to music through headphones a couple times a week but I never take the volume over 50%. I go to 1-2 concerts a year and afterwards I get the ringing for a day that goes away within 24 hours.

This started out of nowhere without any events that could trigger it, so that's why I'm a bit concerned.

I do use Q-Tips after every shower - wondering and hoping wax is in there causing this...but I really have no idea.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Headphone use is one of the most common causes of tinnitus. Even though you think the volume that you listen to music is not too high you would be surprised. And if you listen for long durations it's even more risky. If I were you, I'd lower the volume more when using your headphones. If you really want to help yourself and save a lot of misery don't listen to music through headphones at all as they are dangerous in my opinion. Just read some of posts in this forum from people that have got tinnitus using headphones. They should never have been invented. I have had tinnitus 21 years and it was caused by those terrible things, I just wish I was given the same advice that I'm giving you right now.

Click on the link below and read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. I advise you to read it in full and not to skim though it.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      johndoejohndoes

johndoejohndoes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you very much. My grandfather is almost deaf because he was a Radio DJ back in the day and he completely destroyed his hearing with headphones as well.

I'll be reading your article too. Am I taking the right steps by getting an MRI and visiting the ENT?

For a couple days I was pinching my nose and trying to take a breath through it to make my ears go in and then push out (think of ocean divers) but that didn't really help either.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It all depends. For a peace of mind having an MRI and seeing an ENT wont do any harm but I don't think it's necessary especially if you have got to pay? Just keep away from headphones and when attending clubs, gigs, the cinema use noise reducing earplugs and you will be just fine.
      Best of luck.
      Michael

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      johndoejohndoes

johndoejohndoes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks. I have insurance so it's never more than a $60 visit and I want to make sure it's nothing long lasting.

Seeing as it just started and I technically haven't been diagnosed with anything I'll probably go and get everything checked out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Hearing a loud ringing for a few seconds with the sensation of deafness is pretty commun even in people who don't have tinnitus. It's called fleeting tinnitus and if it last like 30 sec max you don't have to worry about that.

Don't pay attention to your ringing and protect your ears when you're at concerts or clubs.

9. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      If you do decide to get a MRI be sure to use well inserted foam ear plugs + ear muff if you can. Those things are really loud.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      johndoejohndoes

johndoejohndoes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks! Yes - it was a new feeling but I've read the sensation of deafness for a few seconds with ringing is normal (and didn't really freak me out).

It's the constant ringing (high pitched / barely noticeable) that has been going on the last two days that's concerning me.

It seems like the best advice is not to listen to it! It's true that the more I focus on it the more I can hear it - but since it's fairly new I'm hopeful it's temporary and the doc can help.

How did yours start? Was it randomly or did some type of event cause it?

11. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      You might have some infection in your middle or inner ear (not always detectable by the doctor) which makes your ears more sensitive. It can last some weeks.

Do you have any diziness or balance issue ?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      johndoejohndoes

johndoejohndoes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No dizziness or balance issues. It just came on randomly...

I feel like it got worse/I started noticing it after I pinched my nose and tried sucking in through it (to create pressure) than trying to exhale through my nose to clear my ears (imagine a diver under water).

I don't think I could have done any damage doing that but who knows?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      johndoejohndoes

johndoejohndoes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Guys - the ringing went away for the last two days...and just came back after I cracked my back.

Could my ringing have something to do with my back? It doesn't hurt but feels a bit stiff and I'm wondering if a chiropractor could help make it go away?

14. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      Your initial symptom sounds like just a spasm inside the ear. I get those too and they are harmless. The low T you notice may have always been there, you're just paying more attention to it now.

15. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Definitely see the ENT if you can. I am waiting to go for an MRI myself which I don't want to have. The ear is very complicated so if you have the referral and money isn't an issue an ENT can at least rule out physical ear issues.

I was also getting a sick feeling with dizziness and blamed the T. Testings shows a one sided balance nerve problem.